New Motherboard Problems

vanquished1

Solid State Member
hey guys,
i have just installed a new motherboard, cpu and ram. Im not a pc noob, but when it comes to upgrading my motherboard, i didnt know egsactly what i was doing. But i followed instructions and got everything installed. Here is the specs

ASUS MVP VIA K8T890 socket AM2 motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+ dual core 2.5ghz energy efficient CPU (socket AM2)
1gb 240 pin ddr2 dimm ram
coolmasters 450w power supply

now to the problem, basicly, my pc boots up fine, it does the power tests like it says in the manual, but, i have no signal in my monitor. The motherboard has no inbuilt graphics card, so it has no slot for a monitor connection, so i have got my ATI RADEON x550 256mb connect 3d graphics card in the pci-e slot, and running the monitor through it, but it pics up no signal. is my graphics card not compatible? are my missing something little here? if it helps, my last system was a amd 64 1.8ghz processor, with 2x 512mb ddr ram, same graphics card and power supply, running windows vista ultimate.

please help

Lee

right i have looked into this alot more, do you think its possible that my graphics card being DDR, is not supported with the motherboard because it is DDR2?

Lee

Just curious when you say it does the power tests what are you referring to? Are you talking about a light comming on or does the bios beep? If it beeps how many times does it beep? If the power test you speak of is just the light i'm willing to bet you got a bad cpu. I know its a long shot but my last build the first chip I got was bad and I had the same problem your describing. All the components would turn on, fans running etc but no picture and no beeps.

Well looking at it again it may be your ram as well. Have you pulled the sticks and tried them individually in each dimm slot?

You wouldn't happen to have a extra board to test the cpu would you?

hey thanks for the reply,

in the manual it says it does a bleeping noise, meaning it is doing a power test, i was getting 1 beep, then another 3 after, then the pc would sound like its loading as normal, then after a while it would repeat. now all it does is beep once, then 3, then nothing, i think, i will double check.

i have another mother baord but its a socket 939

this is the thing, it could be a number of things, and i dont want to fork out for a graphics card, when all i needed to do is send the cpu back. Im pritty sure it isnt my graphics card because on ebuyer (where i bought the items from) a review on the motherboard, someone is using a radeon x550 and its running brilliant apparently.

hey, i booted up the machine, (after securing the cpu is in properlly) i had a 1 beep, then after a breif second 3 beeps, then after a few second another single beep

i only have a single ddr2 ram, i have ddr ram, but it isnt backwards compatible, is it?

DDR and DDR2 ram are not compatible and are physically different.

This problem has occurred many many times to me. Usually it's a problem with the graphics card and motherboard not properly talking, or the motherboard incorrectly functioning.

First thing to try is taking card out, blowing pci-e socket (check for damage) and reinserting. Second thing to do is unplug the computer and pull out cmos (watch) battery and leave it for 15 min.

If this doesn't work, it's likely the motherboard, and if not that, than the GFX card.

Back
Top Bottom