new mobo installed not detecting SATA hard drive

insiGnia

Solid State Member
ok i just installed my new mobo/cpu/ram and so far it seems to be functional except that it does not detect my 1TB SATA 3.0gb/s hard drive. The drive already has vista installed on it, its the same one i was using with my other mobo so i know it works.

I read the manual and followed the instructions to enable the SATA features (though they were enabled already) and i even tried to changing the settings between 'native ide' and 'AHCI' and nothing works.

BIOS does not detect the drive and when i try to boot without going into bios first i get the error message "disk boot failure, insert disk and press enter"

I tried this with 2 different SATA hard drives and i get the same problem, one has windows installed and the other does not however.

I tried entering the vista cd and it brought me to the vista installation screen and tried to load the drivers like the manual says and it said after the drivers are loaded then the hard drive would be detected, but it didnt do anything and still doesn't see it.

I replaced power cables, swapped out power supplies (both brand new), reset cmos, swapped hard drives, tried to update bios from the Q-Flash utility (wouldnt read my usb).

Everything else seems to work fine, it reads my dvd-rom drive which is using the IDE cable, i even have a spare IDE drive i tested and it reads that as well. So there has to be something im not understanding and I am asking if someone will please help me.

Motherboard: GA-MA770T-UDP3 rev. 1.0

bump....someone plz help if u have this board and you know whats wrong, im getting irritated with this problem.

did you try reformatting the hard drive then putting a fresh install of vista on it? Also did you try putting the sata cable into a different port on motherboard?

yes the boot order is right. I can't reformat it or put a clean install on it if the system doesn't even detect it. As stated above, i put in the vista cd and it, just like the bios, cannot detect the hard drive even after i loaded the drivers.

edit: yes ive tried all 6 ports, same result.

Is your disc drive connected through a sata port as well? does your hard drive get detected on a different computer? If yes on both these then...

Where did you buy it? if it was local I would go there and get them to test it and if it is a faulty mobo then get it replaced. If it was from online I would send it back for an exchange.

Is your disc drive connected through a sata port as well? does your hard drive get detected on a different computer? If yes on both these then...

Where did you buy it? if it was local I would go there and get them to test it and if it is a faulty mobo then get it replaced. If it was from online I would send it back for an exchange.

Also try to boot up without any other SATA drives (disc drives, etc) attached, just the 1 hard drive.

my only SATA drives are my 2 hard drives, which have no problems. I have a spare IDE drive which has windows xp on it, and it works just fine. Is it possible that the boards' 6 SATA ports are all defective? I just don't see how but it may be.. I am RMA'ing it anyway just to be safe, i just dont want to get this replacement board knowing that it's something im doing wrong even though ive read the manual 4 times and read about 7 different forums everyone saying the same thing.

hello, i am having the same problem as insiGnia. i have a WD sata 250g hdd on which i have vista installed and it worked fine until yesterday when i connected a second 80g IDE hdd which had a corrupted xp on it. i had no problem accessing both drives in vista so i could get all the needed files from the second hdd and proceed with reinstalling xp. i reinstalled xp on the 80g hdd but the thing is from that moment on my sata hdd is not recognized when i boot, however i can see it in bios and can access it if using the 80g hdd with xp as os. the weird thing is that if i have only the sata hdd connected when booting it is not recognizable but at some point i get a screen where i can choose what OS i want to load (like when you have multiple os installed) and i get 2 microsoft xp options. choosing either of them then gives me an error saying that i have no drive. i tried putting the primary boot device to the sata hdd,then cd first and hdd second, tried using all sata ports on my MB, each time in bios all looked ok and after none of this worked i restored defaults in bios with no results. All these things were done with only the sata hdd connected (no other hdd, no cd/dvd rom, no floppy). i know 100% that i DID NOT TOUCH this hdd when instaling xp on the other one. Did i by any chance did something incredibly stupid and obvious and i cant see it? Also i would like to reinstall os only if nothing else works. And if this means anything there is a "PM-" in front of the hdd's name when i look it up in bios

Motherboard Manufacturer and Model:ASUS P5B
BIOS Revision Number (if known):American Megatrends Inc, version 1202
CPU/Speed:Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
RAM Manufacturer/Type/Module Size:Kingston/ddr2/4x1G 800Mhz
CDRW/CDROM/DVD Manufacturer and Spec:
Disk Drive(s): Manufacturer and Spec:Western Digital 250G sata 2 16M
Video Card: Manufacturer and Type:asus en8500gttop/htp 256M
Sound Card: Manufacturer and Model:
NIC Manufacturer/Model:
Power Supply Brand and Wattage:
Operating System:vista ultimate 32

Back