new mobo help

Not neceesrily..come on, put some effort in, you'd just need to back everything up, or..after you have you your new mobo, go into the xp setup, press enter to install it, then repair the installation. DO NOT USE THE REPAIR CONSOLE, the other one. Backup everything first though.

What mobo you gettin? :)

yeah thats not alwasy true. Joxley1990 is right. But if the mobo is using the same chipset as the old one then you dont even have to do a repair install.. everything will boot normally and just tell you that something major in the system has changed and because of this you must re activate windows. I do it all the time.

Unless the motherboard in question is very similar or identical (i.e same manufacturer and model) then I agree, a fresh install of XP is the way to go and in the long run is gauranteed to save you agro with possible conflicts etc etc.

If you've got a DVD-RW drive and an hour or two spare, who says you need to lose a single .mp3 or jpeg!? :p

Look at the bright side though. You will get a faster machine when you're done with everything. A good reformat clears away junk and whatever driver or software conflicts you may have had before.

Back
Top Bottom