New MB, CPU, RAM, But no video

gd2246

Beta member
Hi guys I just registered to this forum but I have read through a lot of it but could not find a solution to my problem, I'm hoping someone here can help me.

From what I've read everyone always asks for more info so sorry this is gonna be so long.

I just bought a brand new Biostar G41D3 MB, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU and Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500), but after install CPU + System + Graphics Card fans spin & the Power LED + HDD LED light up but nothing else, no video signal whatsoever.

I have scoured the internet & tried all the recommendations of the MANY people who have posted similar problems. These include:

Swapping monitors (3 total including an old CRT)
Swapping from onboard VGA to my ATI card (the card was not installed at first attempted power up)
Resetting CMOS jumper
Swapping/completely removing RAM (which as stated was also brand new & verified compatible with this MB by Crucial's website)
Checked to make sure there were no more or less built in risers on my case (they all lined up perfectly)
Disconnected everything except CPU + Heatsink & Fan, removed board from case & tried on cardboard box with only 24 pin + 4 pin power cords connected (including repeating the swapping/completely removing RAM)

All I ever get is 1 Beep & no video at all, but as I said fans, LEDs come on.

I have found so many posts all over the internet with the same problem & after exhausting all of the above options they always say MB is DOA & to RMA it, so that's what I did. Now here's the most infuriating thing that has now driven me to this point... The replacement board does the same exact thing!

All above steps repeated same problem! So now instead of just reading other peoples' posts I joined this forum & hoped you guys could help me out if I listed my exact situation.

Again sorry this is so long but in all other posts responders always asked for more specific info so I'm trying to list everything that may be relevant.

Here's how this all started:

I've had a stock HP Pavilion a750y for many years & a few months ago it started freezing randomly, eventually getting more & more frequent. After ruling out software problems (eventually reformatted), I suspected it was the PSU.

I replaced the stock HP 350 Watt with an Antec 500 Watt but same problem. So I then replaced the old ATI Radeon 256 MB with an ATI Radeon HD 4670, problem persists.

I then thought hard drive, bought a new Maxtor 1TB but no joy. tried disconnecting the DVD-RW, DVD-ROM, Floppy, etc. Same issue.

At this point I knew it must be my motherboard/CPU or both, which has led me to where I am now. So my current Specs are:

Biostar G41D3 MB (Double brand new)
Intel Core 2 Duo (Brand new & I did replace thermal paste when installed on 2nd MB)
Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 PC3-8500 (Brand new)
Antec 500 Watt BP500U (Practically new)
Maxtor 1TB 7200 RPM HDD (Practically new)
HP DVD Writer DVD630
HP DVD ROM (OEM, not sure of model but doubt it's important, am prepared to live without it)
HP Floppy (OEM, not sure of model but doubt it's important, am prepared to live without it)

Please someone tell me there is something I have not tried/thought of. I am at my wit's end.

Thanks,
Gerard

Hey man, I've the same problem before, but it was because my ram was in Channel B instead of A. Strange how that Gigabyte mobo couldn't auto detect my ram in channel B, but hey at least my system runs now =P. However, it seems that the MB you have doesn't have more than 2 slots so the channel probably isn't the issue. My money would be DOA ram. Mobos (in my experience) don't fail that often. Every blue screen I've ever gotten has been due to degraded RAM. In my case, the ram (according to the computer) wasn't there and dead ram would probably give a similar effect. Additionally, I've heard rumors that Crucial has degraded in the quality control department. Try running one stick, then the other to see if only one of them is dead. If you still get no luck, then try a return of the ram (assuming they offer a warranty). Good luck mate, Hope this works for ya =P

Thanks for the reply Kungfucow. I've already tried every possible combination of switching the ram, including none at all, which I've read elsewhere should still at least allow it to POST. But you probably know more than I do. Unfortunately I have no way of testing it because all other computers in my house use DDR2 or the old MB that was freezing used plain DDR. I guess it's worth a shot but I'm already past the 30 day point to return anything except the 2nd MB because I wasted time waiting for it. I can buy whatever is defective again but I just wish someone could tell me for sure what that is (or preferably tell me what I did wrong setting it up). Anyway thanks again for the suggestion.

I see. You can give it a shot still though, so long as you have the sticker on the RAM still. Crucial has a limited lifetime warranty on RAM due to the issue that most all RAM will eventually run into; degrading over time. Memory upgrades from Crucial.com - Terms and Conditions of Sale "Crucial warrants to the original end customer of its products specified below that its products are free from defects in material and workmanship affecting form, fit, and function except with respect to refurbished products, video cards, or non-Crucial-branded products or software." Worst case scenario, it's worth a shot to RMA the sticks to Crucial directly. But this is in the case that no one else has some other ideas. good luck man :). PS. if they require you to ship back the sticks of ram in Static shield bags, local U-haul typically have those kind of bags :p. That took me forever to find those when I RMA'd my RAM.

Back
Top Bottom