New laptop suggestions--less than $800

tibug

Solid State Member
Hey, this is my first post on these boards, and I'm looking to buy a new laptop this summer. My current laptop is a Thunkpad t23, which is fine for everything except the stuff that I like to do. I need some gaming ability, but mostly this laptop will be used for downloading 2000$ Adobe editing software illegally (JUST KIDDING). By that I mean that I need a laptop that will run Compiz-fusion in Ubuntu happily (compiz runs off the graphics card so it doesn't tax my ram, so I need a good one), will handle some pretty light gaming, and is comfortable for typing for long periods of time. Durability presides over portability, and $$$ a well as functionality both presides over looks. I download a lot of movies through torrents and limewire (yes, I still use limewire) and I'll be dual booting Ubuntu and XP, so a hdd at least 100 gigs or greater would be nice. The T23 has supersavage graphics, which is just about enough for nothing. If there is such thing as an upgradeable laptop, that's what I want. I need a DVD burner. I don't care about AMD vs. Intel, and I don't do drugs.

I've looked at this one, and really like it...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115444

Any opinions? Anyone tried cyberpowerpc/ibuypower and can vouch for them?

Thanks,
Tim

So along with downloading illegal software, you want to use an operating system that's illegal to use on your platform?

Pff.

So along with downloading illegal software, you want to use an operating system that's illegal to use on your platform?

Pff.

I was joking about downloading illegal software and running OS X. Sorry.

All I want to know is is the laptop I linked to a good one for <800$?

It's decent. I wouldn't go with Acer notebooks.

For what you're looking for, look at the Dell Vostro 1500. You can find deals and discounts on the web to help get it to the price you want.

It's decent. I wouldn't go with Acer notebooks.

For what you're looking for, look at the Dell Vostro 1500. You can find deals and discounts on the web to help get it to the price you want.

Alright, thanks for helping me after I was being a d!ck. I'll check the Vostro out. What do you mean by discounts? Are there codes for the dell store that will lower the price? I seem to remember a site of dell discount codes, but I can't recall the URL.

Thanks again,
Tim

Never mind, the codes add on to the current discount, so 400$ off is really only like 50$ off the standard discount...haha

Thanks,
Tim

There are notebook review forums and sites that offer tremendous discounts on Dell hardware.

Check out Notebookreview.com. They should have some discounts and promotions that Dell is offering.

Try to cut down on RAM as much as possible. RAM is always cheaper from third parties then it is from the original manufacturer. Look on Newegg.

Alright I couldn't find any codes for the Vostro, but I found a code (I don't know if it's legit or not) for 400$ off a 1250$+ Inspiron and 300 off a 999$+ Inspiron.

http://www.notebookreview.com/dellCoupon.asp

I won't be buying this laptop soon (around summer), so these codes will have expired, but what do you think of all this for about 860$

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache
14.1 glossy screen
128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GS
3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition

That's probably a bit too much money for me and also probably a bit too good for me, so here's another one for 700...

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7250 (2MB cache/2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB)
14.1 glossy screen
128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GS
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
Standard Audio

Thoughts? Is the 860$ one worth the extra moolah? Should I upgrade ram afterwards or is it a good enough deal to buy it with the 3 gigs of ram?

Thanks,
Tim

That acer looked good. Personally, I like Acer. They've never let me down.

Not sure why 01001010 doesn't like them though...

Back
Top Bottom