new hd swapp

myles363

In Runtime
i was wondering if it is possible. i have a computer that has a 70gb hd and it completely full. I do have a external hd that is 250gb. can i get a bigger internal hd drive like (250)gb and put all the stuff that is on the 70gb on to the external hard drive, then put it onto the new internal hard drive. kinda confusing but help would be great...

thanks!

Just as Cboucher said, It is absolutely possible and quite straight forward as well.

Good Luck, and if ya have any other questions, Feel free to come back!

ok then, how would i go about doing it?? would it mess with the os at all? would i just drag the cdrive into the fdrive for the external drive? then replace the internal 70gb one? and recopy it back into the new internal? or is there another better way to do it? thanks again!

Doing what you described would copy all your files over to the old 250GB drive for backup purposes, but you would still have to install Windows on the new drive. Another way to do this would be using a program such as Norton Ghost to create an image of your C drive on your old 250GB drive. Then when you install the new hard drive, you can restore the image of your old C drive onto the new C drive and boot from it like normal. It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is.

Many drive manufacturers have software available on their site that will allow you to transfer the entire contents of your old drive to the new drive including the operating system.

Back
Top Bottom