New Graphics Card

Larisa

In Runtime
Hello All,

As some of you know I've been having problems with my graphics card. Here is the story, http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=97442. I've tried everything recommended and I still have the problem.

So now I need a new card, any suggestions? I don't have big graphic games (WOW, LOTRO, Sims 3, and Aion). What do you suggest? My last card was a Nvidia 9600GT, it lasted about 9 months. I would like to get an ATI this time but I'm open to suggestions.

I found this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1296&cm_re=ati_radeon-_-14-161-296-_-Product?, but I think it is overkill and a little more than I wanted to spend. I'm trying to keep it at $120or less.

Why does it seem that many problems are caused by the graphics card ... poor manufacturer, poor quality parts, construction, can't keep temperatures down???

Please help - Larisa

This is what I have:

MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Socket AM2 CPU

Corsair XMS2 4GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory

XFX GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB PCIe Video Card

WD Caviar 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G

Apex PC-389 ATX Black Mid Tower Case

ULTRA LS600 600W ATX POWER SUPPLY

Samsung 22X DVDRW SATA OEM

2 Questions

Before I buy this PowerColor ATI 4850 I have 2 questions.

1. Should I hook up my motherboard graphics to see if it works or isn't it good enough for the games I play (WOW, LOTRO, Aion, Sims 3)?

2. I read somewhere that when you replace a graphic card, you need to uninstall the old drivers, run some sort of software, and then install the new drivers. If this is so, what is the name of the software? Or can I insatll the new card without running the software? I guess that's 3 questions! :)

Thanks for the help - Larisa

1. It may run those games, but at their lowest settings.

2. It's always best to remove the old drivers first before installing a new card. You can easily remove them in Add/Remove Programs. You can also use this: Driver Cleaner Professional

hey well my hd5770 runs sims 3 smooth but it jitters when rotating/ moving the camera around - i think it's just a general fault with ati cards maybe

Back
Top Bottom