Daemon Poster
This is on a friends rig and the specs are

4gb fatality ram (2 sticks of 2gb)
GeForce GTS 450
100 gb hd w/ windows 7
450 watt psu (smartpower)
xtreme gamer sound card
ASUS P5B motherboard

He is trying to put an e7500 cpu in and currently has a 6300 dual core. The 6300 works fine and dandy but when he puts in the e7500 it powers everything up then restarts it all with no display on the screen and it keeps doing it over and over again. The motherboard is compatible with the new processor and the also the processor was just tested on another system and is a for sure good processor.

He just installed the 6300 back and it works normally so what are we missing?

Thanks!

The E6300 is 65nm while the E7500 is 45nm. Intel's 45nm CPUs have different power requirements, which means they won't work in some motherboards. Most manufacturers came out with a new BIOS to support the new CPUs.

Cabbs is right.
Also look at that list of parts you have.
GeForce GTS 450 << power hog
100 gb hd w/ windows 7 << modern drives don't pull that much
450 watt psu (smartpower) << not enough
xtreme gamer sound card << power hog
ASUS P5B motherboard

Now here's my take on that.
1. The power supply is not able to push all that and a higher end cpu. It's going in to over draw protection.
2. There's a short in the wiring and it's going in to short circuit protection.
3. The old cpu was over clocked from the bios and the bios was not defaulted before installing the new cpu. Put the old chip back in and default the bios. Make sure you have a pasted heatsink on either of the cpu's before you try to fire it up.
4. While you have the old cpu in update the bios.

Cabbs is right.
Also look at that list of parts you have.
GeForce GTS 450 << power hog
100 gb hd w/ windows 7 << modern drives don't pull that much
450 watt psu (smartpower) << not enough
xtreme gamer sound card << power hog
ASUS P5B motherboard

Now here's my take on that.
1. The power supply is not able to push all that and a higher end cpu. It's going in to over draw protection.
2. There's a short in the wiring and it's going in to short circuit protection.
3. The old cpu was over clocked from the bios and the bios was not defaulted before installing the new cpu. Put the old chip back in and default the bios. Make sure you have a pasted heatsink on either of the cpu's before you try to fire it up.
4. While you have the old cpu in update the bios.

1. Both have TDP of 65W, but in reality, 45nm draws less power
2. possible, but extremely unlikely
3. A simple CMOS reset should be enough, but even that shouldn't be needed. When a new CPU is put in, Asus boards don't have a problem, they just say "new CPU found, change settings in BIOS"
4. YES! This is the most likely. Either your board has a BIOS that does not support newer 45nm architectures, or it does not support them at all

Ahh thanks guys! I'll have him try all this today, I figured he would need to update the bios. I'll have him reset it then update if that doesn't help... Also I should have him remove his GFX to take a little bit off the PSU to see if it is the PSU

Updated BIOS and fixed it! Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom