new computer

nitsujlip

Beta member
i hope this is the right area, my first post.

i was wondering how my computer stacked up against other new ones.
the processor could be alot better, but its an intel 2.2 ghz dual core
4gb ram
it came with an hd sound card.

i was wondering if it was a good idea, since i would like to occasionally play games, such as unreal 07 and call of duty 4, and other recent games, if this would be good.

it has vista home 64bit

the graphics are integrated 256/128 dedicated
i know this isn't nearly enough. i ordered a geforce 8600gt 1gb and a 470 watt power supply, but this is going to be the first time i ever play games on it.

There is a program that will give you a decent idea as to how graphically intensive games run on your system, it's called 3DMark, and it will benchmark the performance of your PC in games: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1297 My score is 14600.
You shouldn't have wasted your money on 1GB of VRAM though, the 8600GT isn't a very powerful card and it's not going to use anywhere near all that memory.

i don't see why not
my cousin has the same card, and he runs all those games i mentioned at full settings with the same processor and less ram than me

COD4 and UT3 do scale very well, but there are games that don't scale so well and are more graphics intensive where the 8600GT will struggle.

8600GT is a midd-ranged gaming card, so it can play the most of the games in high settings, but some games or a few of games may not be playable at high settings because your card is a midd-ranged card 8600GT. So if you want to play games in high settings in a good frame rate you need to buy an 8800 any of series like 8800GTS is the best for money/performance.

thanks guys, i think i'll stick with the one i got, i got a good deal on it from a friend, it works good. $60 dollars i paid for it, so i think i did alright. 8800gts in mind next time, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom