new case fan running slow

mikee

Fully Optimized
I just bought a Ultra thermo control case fan to replace my old noisy case fan and I was expecting wonders from this but am disappointed as of now. The darn thing runs my system idle at 40 c and my cpu cores peak at 60c and the fan is only running at 1300rpm my old one ran at 1800rpm and blew way more air.

I bought this because it listed as being able to go 2100 rpm however it doesn't for me I put my hand up to the vent and I can barely tell it is blowing anything. What I want to know is since it is thermo control how can I make it go faster or what temp does the system have to be at for the fan to speed up to a useful speed?

Ultra ULT40144 Thermo-Control 120mm Case Fan - Dual Ball Bearing, Thermally Controlled, 1200 - 2100 RPM, 78.3 CFM, 33.2 dBA at TigerDirect.com

Do you have it plugged into your motherboard?

If so, your motherboard may be controlling the speed, especially if it is connected to a four pin plug. Does your motherboard have software to control the fan plugged into it?

motherboard I don't know if the mobo has software to control it. MY old fan plugged into the mobo too and it went much faster than this one

If you connect the fan to an extra power connector from your power supply with an adapter it should run at full speed.

what about a fan controller i may invest in one at some point if they aren't too expensive

do these things go cheap? and do they have both 3 pin and molex connectors. I have fans with both

Well I tried hooking it up with an adapter and it still runs at the same slow speed yet my computer is still a lot warmer than with the old fan. People in the reviews said it pushed a lot of air but what I wonder is how hot does the computer have to be before it will go fast. Does it have to be critically hot like about to catch fire or something? I'm just real frustrated

Huh, I went back to the fan website and noticed that the fan is thermally controlled. Apparently, it adjusts it's speed according to the ambient temperature. That means that I'm wrong, connecting it to 12V won't make it run full speed. Sorry for the bad information.

Here is a quote from the feedback comments at the fan website:

Great fan for those who don't have fan controllers because these automatically adjust to the temperature inside you case,so you don't have to adjust the rpm speed.

One idea is to reinstall your old fan and add the new fan somewhere else in your computer case.

Back
Top Bottom