New Build vs iMac

Bahawolf1

Fully Optimized

Hmmm is it me or is this statement contradicting itself?
Personally if money wasn't an issue i would go for the new iMac. I'm not what you would call an Apple fanboy, infact i've only ever owned 1 Macbook but, it runs so smoothly.

OSX Mountain Lion is awesome and with the high spec expected to be in the new iMac 27" the thing will run lightnight quick for a very long time!

However, I cannot deny that Macs tend to be overpriced. The PC that you have posted will probably run just as quick over the first 6 - 12 months or so, only difference is the Mac will probably run for longer, and let's face it the Mac will look SUPER SEXY on your desk!!

So I just totalled what u have there. And it comes out to about 1800 right? For that money. Why r u going for older hardware and not the newer ivy bridge? E.g. 3770k for CPU? The 670 for gpu? Combine that with ur ram ( maybe go for a cheaper model so u can upgrade other components). And u have a beastly computer. Look. the way I see it. The question u really have to ask urself with macs is: Do u want to buy into the apple environment. Because the extra you pay goes into the apple ecosystem. So the question for you to decide is. Is it worth it? Personally I don't think so. I just prefer paying less and sticking with windows. But that's my opinion. Anyone else?

I totally agree with KHSup.
I will add that if you wan't the "smoothness" from Mac OSX, then go for a linux Distro. Get something like Mint, Ubuntu or Zorin OS6 if you are unsatisfied with windows. it is faster, open source, Highly customizable and best of all... it's FREE :eek: (Apple and MS are freaking out now :lol:) if you are going Linux, you might want to save some money on that GPU and get a modern low end GPU for Editing and not so much gaming, sense there are not so many games on linux that require a high performance GPU

Last edited:
I totally agree with KHSup.
I will add that if you wan't the "smoothness" from Mac OSX, then go for a linux Distro. Get something like Mint, Ubuntu or Zorin OS6 if you are unsatisfied with windows. it is faster, open source, Highly customizable and best of all... it's FREE :eek: (Apple and MS are freaking out now :lol:) if you are going Linux, you might want to save some money on that GPU and get a modern low end GPU for Editing and not so much gaming, sense there are not so many games on linux that require a high performance GPU

I actually use Ubuntu as my primary OS (not a fan of Mint personally). -- I usually use a virtual machine for things that I use Windows for (like Netflix). :)

I don't follow hardware as much as I did years back. I'm more of a software guy, so I really appreciate the input. I've updated my local list of products to reflect the newer CPU suggested but I'm not sure what to do with the GPU. I'm looking to run two monitors but don't intend to do gaming in the near future. I've been unable to due to my business so I just need something that'll work basically. :) I don't mind paying for quality so I usually just sort by ratings and go with the best ratings but if there is a suggestion for a GPU fit for my needs then I'll go with that. :) Otherwise, the Nvidia 670 at about $400 is just fine.

Hi,

Can you confirm your budget is not an issue statement?

If budget really isnt an issue i'd go for a Mac Pro Tower.
If budget is an issue you should definitely be looking at building your own machine for the best performance - price ratio.

Hi,

Can you confirm your budget is not an issue statement?

If budget really isnt an issue i'd go for a Mac Pro Tower.
If budget is an issue you should definitely be looking at building your own machine for the best performance - price ratio.

Hey there,

It's not an issue at all. I work on my PC 16-20 hours a day so I've got to put a decent chunk of change into it to make money back, I suppose. :p That being said, I've looked at the Mac Pro towers and was considering that as an option as well.

The only issue with the Mac Pro towers is I notice the biggest gap in price to hardware ratio on that line compared to the rest of their products. While I don't mind paying for what I want, I usually try to get the best deal I can.

I'm still up in the air but I'm thinking I'll go the PC route again and continue using Ubuntu and VMs for things I can't do within Ubuntu. I'm just trying to get a final list together for these parts so that I can prepare the order. :D

Back
Top Bottom