New build startup

obxdude018

Baseband Member
Ok just built a new computer, I was informed about when you switch motherboards you have to get a new key from Microsoft or purchase a new os. I have a windows xp home edition disk I use just for a temporary solution, I ran it through startup it just about finishes the bluescreen setup it says setup is starting windows and then crashes at this point. It is always the same point on the install. Could this be a ram related issue.

Test your RAM out with MemTest x86, or grab Hirens Boot CD, it has several diagnostics software titles to pick from on there.

You can use any installation media for Windows 7 on any PC, but the CD Key is what matters. If the CD Key was "OEM" in that it shipped with the original PC if you bought an OEM system from Dell, HP, etc, then yes, the CD Key is tied to that hardware. If you bought an OEM copy of Windows, it's possible to transfer the CD Key, but it's not supported. I only mention it because I've seen people do it, though it's rare. (You have to make one hell of a good excuse...)

If you buy a retail copy, then any PC you install it to, as long as you don't exceed the number of licenses installed (1 or 3 PCs, depending on edition).

Ok, my last computer was my first build, I transferred over only the hard drives and the psu. If what you are saying is pinpoint my issue sounds more related to hardware, I tried to load up my SSd which has the windows 7 on it. It would load the starting windows screen, but before it would get to the cursor screen it would crash, if it was just a case of windows not being activated then it should load up but notify me that windows is nob certified and that i need to purchase a key. I disconnected my ssd and tried to load windows xp on to my hd and it would crash at the setup is starting windows screen, this just seems to coincidental not to be a hardware issue.

No, that's exactly what it could be, is a hardware issue. You're looking in the wrong spot. If the hard drive has been changed and nothing improved, you'll need to do my other suggested items first, test the memory, find out what is going on there, and check your power rails / CPU temp as a precaution - just to get them out of the way.

Windows is doing it with whatever version you try (XP and 7) so it's reasonable to assume that the house (windows) you're trying to build on the ground, isn't very stable (the hardware)

I am going to run the other card for a while to see if it pulls error codes, I will be getting my other set of ram tomorrow, so hopefully my problem is strictly ram related, it's killing me to see what this computer can do compared to my last build. Up to six errors on the bad card so far.

Asus Sabertooth 990FX Mobo
AMD Phenom 2 X6 1100T B.E.
G Skill 8GB 1333MHz, will be 16GB in a few days
MSI N570GTX Graphics Card
Corsair H70 Cooling
Patriot 32GB SSD, Operating System Only
Seagate 640GB 7200rpm HD
Blu-ray player
ThermalTake V9 BlacX case
Azza 850w psu

Back
Top Bottom