Netstat / Localhost

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
I was just listening to Security Now!'s newest episode on the Netstat feature.

I realized i really never used it for anything, in pure curiosity lead me to enter the command into my command prompt. Then i wanted to check out all the forign addresses, so i could see what was connecting to my computer.

I opened up IE (firefox gave me problems with this :'( ) and typed in some addresses. But i got an error when typing in one forign address that started with localhost. The error said that, "Some content or files on this webpage require a program that you don't have installed." So i clicked the link on that error page that said " Search online for a program you can use to view this web content."

Then it gives me this message,

Silly Internet Explorer said:
Windows has the following information about this Protocol. This page will help you find software needed to open your file.

Protocol Type: localhost

Description: UnKnown

Windows does not recognize this Protocol.

Is their a program to actually view this connection, or is this just a vague/general error message that I received that does not specifically pertain to me?

Well locahost is your computer. If you has IIS up and running it would come up with a web page but if not it should come up with "Page cannot be displayed". It looks like you have some software that detects internet errors and seeks to find answers for them. I would do a Spyware/Virus scan to see if you have any nasties on your pc.

Back
Top Bottom