need to update my system, what would you do?

jhoff

Solid State Member
Heres my current build, and I havent really been following anything related to hardware. Not sure what is the greatest or latest right now.
Looking to get some more speed out of my system, along with better graphics.

My current build.

Phenom II x4 555 BE
Asus M4A89GTD PRO
Corsair DDR3 1600 16gbs 4x4gb
Antec 550watt
Zalman 9500A
Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770
WD 500gb Sata 6.0Gb/s
Seagate 500gb 3.0Gb/s
Rosewill Destroyer Case 3x150mm fans.
Lite-On Blu ray drive
2x 21.5 Asus 1080p Led Monitors

Chuck the AMD, get an Intel i5-3570K and a decent LGA 1155 motherboard. Keep the RAM, drop in a 650 watt PSU and grab a Radeon HD 7950 or 7970, move to a 256GB SSD for your boot drive, keep the other two drives for storage.

That's what I'd do if money were no object at least.

You should at least update to the i5 platform. They run circles around the Phenom II's these days. You could easily give your existing setup here a shot in the arm by dropping the AMD.

Chuck the AMD, get an Intel i5-3570K and a decent LGA 1155 motherboard. Keep the RAM, drop in a 650 watt PSU and grab a Radeon HD 7950 or 7970, move to a 256GB SSD for your boot drive, keep the other two drives for storage.

That's what I'd do if money were no object at least.

You should at least update to the i5 platform. They run circles around the Phenom II's these days. You could easily give your existing setup here a shot in the arm by dropping the AMD.

Yes, that would be ideal if the OP didn't count money. I think it is a safe assumption that he won't be able to afford all that. OP, if you're unable to afford all of that above then I suggest upgrading your graphics card to a Radeon HD 6700 Series. If you can of course. You may want to get a new PSU in the process, perhaps 650 watts.

If you had read my entire post, you'd see that I suggested a minimum as well as a "Woah nelly!" recommendation. I always try to cater to both sides of the coin. I'm not made of money either. :p

Back
Top Bottom