Need a suggestion with upgrading video/sound card

ktrio730

Beta member
Hey everyone, new to the site. I had a few questions hopefully some of you can help me out with.

I just bought a new computer yesterday and hooked it up. I'm not happy with it at all, as it appears to be a low-end computer. Since I already opened it, I can't return it to the store due to their policy. So instead of being upset, I figure I'll upgrade it asap. I'm interested in a few things.

First off, here are the specs: It's a Compaq Presario sr-5130nx

AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
Bi-processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

1024mb memory

200gb hard drive

dvd rw lightscribe

windows vista

NVIDIA Geforce 6150 se

First and most importantly, I want to be able to play high end games like supreme commander. What would I need to upgrade to be able to play them? (Right now, it will play on the computer, but it is extremely laggy and slow.)

Also, what do I need to be able to hook the computer into my hdtv? The computer doesn't look like it has a dvi slot.

Lastly, I wanted to possibly hook my computer up to my 5.1 sound system in my room. What's a good sound card that would be able to handle the output to the receiver?

Thanks a lot!

Tell me how much you are willing to spend on these items, also do you have a pci express slot?

right my friend first off welcome to computer forums :)

now we needa budget for these upgrades ?

and are u in the US or UK ?

you would need to upgrade your graphics card to play games well and hook upto HD TV.

im thinking 8600 but that depends on the budget you could even get 7600 GT and it would still be alot better than the thing you have.

answer these and ill get back to you

I'd have to say my budgets around 300-350 is that enough to make a decent enough difference?

Yeah with that money, get a GeForce 8600GTS (150$) and the Sound Blaster X-Fi (70$)

Also you might want to buy another stick of RAM, it's about 30 dollars for 1024mb and will make a hell of a difference. Download CPU-Z (See my signature) and look at the RAM tab to see what kind of RAM you have.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Get all of what Juice said. Even the RAM.

would that run those games perfectly or should i just try to return it and get a better model computer? The better computers do have the better ram and hard drive memory and all, but they still will not come with a great video card until I start going into the thousands.

Back
Top Bottom