Need new computer for photo and video editing

jm667

Solid State Member
It is time for me to get a new computer, and I would really like to keep it under or around $1000 with the monitor. I thought about building one, but after adding up the components, I am not saving anything, and I figure if I am not going to save a few hundred dollars or so, then I may as well just buy one. I have found some Dell's I can build (core i5 or i7, 8GB RAM) for around $1000, but then I found this Gateway at Costco which seems to have pretty good specs. Is that a decent model for what I need? Is that video card ok? I don't play games, and the most demanding thing I will be doing is organizing and editing photos, and I just got an HD camcorder so I will have to do something what the video soon.

if you live near a mircocenter you cant get the i7 for 200 and i still think its cheaper to build your own

I was doing some figuring, and so that is 200, a motherboard is about 100, memory will be 100 for 4GB, case and power supply over $150, video card $100, Windows $100, optical drive $50. That is just rough estimating and leaving some things out and that is already up to $800 without a monitor.

Thank you for putting that together for me. But I don't see how that is saving money. It is $964 compared to $800, and the only thing I notice better in it is the video card. The CPU, motherboard, memory, and hard drive are all better in the other one and it is $800 and I don't have to worry about putting it together and about things not working. Am I missing something?

Just some advice :
Partition your HD for Photo and Video etc.
C:Is for the OS,not storage.

:D

jm667 if you're shopping costco you might want to shop walmart. They carry some boxed deals that some times you come out smelling like a rose.

Great advice on the partitioning. I used to do that, but would run out of room a lot because the hard drives used to be smaller. With a 1TB or larger, there is plenty of room for that.

Back
Top Bottom