Need ideas for school project

Vladblood

Beta member
I could use some help coming up with a computer project that I need to have completed by May. It should be something that would be beneficial for a small to medium sized business. Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mitch

Sit down in front of MS Excell and let your imagination go wild. Businesses always need ways to track things. I'm already working on different things I'm going to need to run the hotel we're buying.
A suite of different software is always handy.

You can't go wrong with budgeting software etc, always useful though there is a lot of stuff on the market. Stock inventory software or something perhaps? Would give you a chance to work with databases and a front end using whichever technology you wish :)

Yep all very useful for small businesses but BORING BORING BORING when you are a younster and have to sit down and learn this stuff. I worked for a few years in the IT section of our local high school and the kids just were not interested in learning about Microsoft Office etc. We did introduce web site building software, animation, image manipulation and, of course, programming software with the added lure of them being able to write their own gaming software and make oodles and oodles of money. It didn't always work but we did find that there was a lot more interest generated in the IT classes. We also tried to do some of the practical side of computing such as fault finding and what the various bits and pieces actually did, putting them together and upgrading etc. It's a bit like English literature. I don't know what they teach in America or Australia or the rest of the world for that matter. But in this country they tend to concentrate on Shakespeare. BORING BORING BORING and yes even more BORING. I'm afraid that if kids are going to learn anything then lessons in whatever subject must be made massively interesting otherwise the youth of today just will not be bother to learn.

what is the class?

and what is the project.

As stupid as this sounds that will matter, - for example during my A level IT, we needed to do at least three course work projects that I recall, that included making something like a website, or using DTP packages to make flyer,
creating something in Acess, (e.g. stock management / CRM
Creating something in Excel (e.g stock management / ordering, time sheets accounting etc.)

All the Access / excel stuff had a VBA programming tasks for creating macros.

On the other hand is your class pure code? do you need to write a software product?

Essentially, what school is it for, (Junior school - UK GCSE, college level school UK A level, or university UK undergraduate degree, or even beyond that.)?
and what is the core areas that the project must touch?

Agreed, not much you can do about it when that's what you're given as an assignment though.

I agree with that but that is the problem with schooling in the UK at the moment and to be honest was the problem when I was in school hundreds of years ago. As I have said I do not know what happens in the rest of the world but in this country the school curriculums are laid down by a bunch or boring old farts in some dusty old office down the smoke. Most teachers (not all I will admit) just see teaching as job and teach the curriculum from books as laid down by the boring old farts. The lessons become one long slide into complete and utter boredom and no learning takes place. I left school when I was 15 and joined the army. In February 1966 I went to the Army Apprentice School in Harrogate (you could do that in those days) where I learned my apprenticeship and got my acedemic qualifications. The training and education was interesting and the acedemia was done in an interesteing way so I learned. If I hadn't done that I would have been a coal miner or steel worker, both dangerous, dirty, extremely badly paid jobs in those days because there was nothing for a boy with no qualifications.

This post doesn't have much to do with the OP per se but is relevant IMO to the original question as are other posts in this thread especially the questions asked by root.

What grade are you in? I'm in 7th grade, but know a fair share about computers, and while I wont give you the answers to any quizzes I'd be glad to help. If you do not feel comfortable giving your grade that's fine, but what do you have in mind for the project? I make graphics and would be glad to give you a logo for your business mojo-jojo :p. Message me if you need anything else :D

I also think I misunderstood, what you were asking.. Oh well.

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

I was in school hundreds of years ago..
wait what lol

I also think I misunderstood, what you were asking.. Oh well.

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

wait what lol

Yeah it's what serves us Brits as humour LOL. I'm 65 so it was hundreds of years ago or at least it feels like that. I take it you didn't read the bit about me having served in the military?:lol:

Back
Top Bottom