Need help, PSU and motherboard

Stofa88

Solid State Member
Can someone explain to me if I can upgrade my PSU over 350W. I have contacted Compaq and they said the max I can upgrade it to is 350W. But while searching online for information, I read that the motherboard recieves the power it needs, not the complete 350W or whatever PSU you have. Its just used for additional hardware. I really want to know, because I want to get a decent video card that requires a PSU of 450W. I dont want to be wrong and have my motherboard short out or something. My motherboard is an A8AE-LE (AmberineM), and the videocard is an ati radeon x1600pro in case anyone wanted to know.

I have the same problem.

Gateway shipped a 300 watt power supply, yet they have an open pci-eX16 slot...

On any new card requires a 350watt minimum.

I look at gateways website, the difference between a 300 and 350 was only like 5 dollars.

Why can't these guys realize thay having a open pci-e X16 slot, yet having a 300 watt power supply is ridiculous, especially considering the 350 watt power supply is onlt a few dollars more.

BECUASE ITS gatway or w.e.. there stupid when it comes to pre-bilt computers

well, yeah motherboards don't take the entire 350watt, i don't see how a computer can have a max wattage on their powersupply, that sounds a bit farfetch'd to me, but i could be wrong.
if i was in your position i would tell the people at compaq to go to hell and just buy that power supply you want.
correct me if i'm wrong anyone. it wouldn't be the first time

I did pretty much the same to an HP Motherboard. I installed a 550 Ultra X2 PSU, and things are working just fine.

A size to a PSU will not affect your MB in any way that would promote harm.

Now I don't know if Gateway has a special power connector that only their power supplys will make the connection to their MB's. Most of them come with the 4 pin connection.

But then again you could of got one of the representatives that knows Absolutely crap, just like I did with an HP rep who told me my computer wouldn't run with a HD larger than 80GB.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So it doesn't really matter what power supply you buy?

If you go down to your computer store, pick one up with the right specs, but isn't "approved" by gateway it should still work?

"Most of them come with the 4 pin connection."

I thought power supplies are 24 pin connection?

well before anything.. check the connections fromthe PSU to the motherborad... If there is 20/24 ping plugin and a 4 Ping plugin, and nothing else going to the motherborad.. than it should be ok

DDMAN....Your right, most are 24 PIN, but I'm referring to an additional connection.

Also like X800 said, make sure you get a PSU with the proper connections. If you have drives that are SATA, makes you have those connections, PCI-Express connectors? etc etc.

Also check the size, PSU can get rather large, especially length wise, so make sure you have sufficient room.

Tell compaq to go to hell. They just want you to buy a whole new PC from them to get better performance. (which is understandable since they need business, but lying to their customers is not much different from stabbing themselves IMO.)

As long as the PSU has nothing wrong with it, uses the correct connections for your motherboard, and has enough juice for all your hardware, it will work.

*rubs his Enermax Whisper II*

don't go to a local computer store to buy a psu though, and don't skimp out on it, if it blows out and fries your motherboard because you spent 30 dollars on a 500watt psu, you'll regret it. it's better to be safe than sorry. and uh, buy from newegg.com, wider selection and most likely, better prices.

Back
Top Bottom