Need help figuring out whats wrong

imxelite

Baseband Member
I had a motherboard die on me that I replaced. I purchased an open box motherboard from newegg.com. Everything seemed fine then one morning the computer starts up but no video I asked for opinions and the most people said the video died. Okay I purchase a new one-computer shows video now. Then two days later when I boot my computer it does the same thing and boots into windows but no video. Weird thing is I left the computer on while I went downstairs for about ten minutes I come back and restart then the picture shows up. I've tested this a few times and it's consistent when I use the computer for a while shut down the video won't come on unless I leave the computer on for a while then restart. I have no idea what's wrong now since I hooked my monitor up to my laptop and it comes on fine.

have your tried rebooting into safe mode see if it comes on then.

if it does then there may be a clash with your drivers

It's strange now I can't get it to come back on. I can still hear windows starting up but no video.

Have you run Memtest? 9 times out of 10 when I see someone with no video it's faulty RAM. Seeing as how that is some-what intermittent, it could be the RAM starting to go.

I just purchase to stick of ram from tigerdirect I was going to return it because I was just going to get another motherboard that takes ddr2. I'm just afraid that if I open the memory packaging they won't accept a return.

I just swapped out memory and I still can't get any video. Is there anything else I can try?

Re-seat all the connections inside the computer. What I mean by that, is undo-and replug all power connections, take out and reinstall all RAM, and take out and put all PCI cards back in. Then power it up.

If that doesn't work, boot with the bare-essentials. That being one stick of RAM, no HDD, proc, and video card (on-board if possible).

OKay I just tried disconnect and reconnecting everything. Then the bare minimal and still no video.

I recently experienced the same problems with my previous computer. I think that your motherboard might be dead. I did this to mine by trying to pull 350 watts through a 300 watt PSU. Replacing the PSU didn't help because the motherboard was too far gone. If you know it isn't your motherboard or RAM, then it probably is your video. Check the minimum requirements for the video card and see if your motherboard and PSU meet at least the minimum requirements, though it is a good idea to meet recomended ones. Tell us about your PC. What kind of video card, RAM, motherboard, processor, etc... do you have?

Back
Top Bottom