Need help with clearing bottlenecks

thecheat

Solid State Member
Hey, I'm a new (say that again) new computer builder. I've been entrusted with building an editing computer... so here's the specs (this computer is sitting next to me btw it IS running)

-AMD X2 6400+
-Foxconn C51XEM2AA-8EKRS2H 590 SLI motherboard
-Nvida (evga) 8600GTS (512mb)
-2, 320GB 7200RPM HDD's
-1, 500GB 7200RPM HDD
-4 Apidia 1GB 1066hz DDR2 ram
-DVD-R burner
-CD drive
-700W PSU
-XP 64 bit (professional)
-vista 64 bit (basic)
-vista 32 bit (basic)

(if I'm leaving anything out, please tell me!)

So anyways, it's a $1500 computer (a bit more now because everything we THOUGHT was wrong, really wasn't... :mad: ) it should be next to top of the line, right?

well somewhere it's not...

The platform is intended to run Vegas Movie Studio 8 (platinum) which it does... we can play unrendered hi-def footage at ~30fps, straight off the camera tapes. However, when it comes to rendering, it's another story...

Honestly, it's down right pitiful. It'll render 30 frames in a second
5 seconds later...
30 more frames
repeat

A much slower computer is rendering just as fast, what's up with that? The annoying thing is that it does EXACTLY 30 frames then stops. This is unacceptable.

Now onto 3D mark and such

I downloaded the "basic" (free) 3dmark06 package, ran it and got a whopping score of (drumroll please!) 5444... (+/- a hundred, I've been adjusting things and the score has been a bit varied, but it's around there)

Maybe I'm missing something... but it should be doing a lot better, right? I look at the fastest computer and I can't help but say "what does it have that mine doesn't?!??!?"

It's honestly getting quite annoying, if anyone has any clue what to do, I'm all ears! I'm at the point where I'm calling each manufacturer of each component and see if they have a clue. Because, on my side, I don't see any reason WHY it's not working. Just that, for some reason, it ISN'T working! I don't pay good money for high quality parts for them to not work...

take out a stick of ram, and see if it helps. too much ram isn't always good. the comp has to search longer to fin stuff if you have too much ram.

Honestly, it's down right pitiful. It'll render 30 frames in a second
5 seconds later...
30 more frames
repeat

A much slower computer is rendering just as fast, what's up with that? The annoying thing is that it does EXACTLY 30 frames then stops. This is unacceptable.

Now onto 3D mark and such

I downloaded the "basic" (free) 3dmark06 package, ran it and got a whopping score of (drumroll please!) 5444... (+/- a hundred, I've been adjusting things and the score has been a bit varied, but it's around there)

Maybe I'm missing something... but it should be doing a lot better, right? I look at the fastest computer and I can't help but say "what does it have that mine doesn't?!??!?"

What are the specs of the "slower" computer that is rendering just as fast? Rendering is extremely processor intensive, and that is just about all that matters.

Also, with 3dmark scores, your computer is far behind what other peoples computers are 3d hardware wise. You only have a midrange graphics card.

Alright, fair enough, the GFX card isn't THE greatest... but the intent is, if we need more power, we use the SLI and use two for more power. This mainly isn't a gaming rig however, it's meant for heavy duty computing. It's got plenty of power to play games if need be, but, like you said, rendering is mainly CPU (if I read that right) and what I've got is pretty good from what I can tell.

As for the other computer...

Nvida 8500GT (512mb ram)
4gb ram (only reads 3Gb...)
AMD athalon X2 3800+ (2.1GHz)
Windows XP

It's obviously a slower computer... yet it works about as fast (maybe a minute behind on a 20 min test) that's obviously not right...

I'll try removing a stick or two of ram, see if that does anything.

well on Computer-Forums standards, the 6400 is weak as hell - get a QX9770, 16GB of DDR2, at least a terabyte of disk space, and quad or octo SLI with 8800GT's, or break into the NVIDIA factory and swipe some 9800GTX's if possible

oh yeah, and then overclock to 6GHz, and set your water-cooling temperature to absolute zero, if possible.

LOL
i'm kidding bout the factory part, as well as just about everything else..

well... if price wasn't an issue... :rolleyes:

hmm.... the liquid cooling reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzfrKQMrRHI

lol, now THAT's pushing a computer!

Anyways, the main thing is the intel is hovering around $1000 and the AMD is about a quarter of that... even if it was half as good that ratio ain't bad.

Anyways, anyone have a clue?

Back
Top Bottom