Need help with building computer for BBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBC_David

Beta member
Hi everyone, my name is David and I am from the BBC (UK)

I am in charge of video editing for certain programs in which I am not allowed to post. I have a serious problem and I have no idea where to turn to.

Our I.C.T Techincal Support System Man (Dont worry we just call him dougie) - well he went away this week - and our main computer has crashed.

This computer is for editing all the television programs, and has a corrput hard drive, and the mainboard set on fire, so we HAVE to get a new one, replacing is not an option, as all the computer equipment is built into custom BBC cases, so we must replace everything.

So - I need to find somewhere that I can buy all the indivual parts for a computer, I just hand the parts to the Techies, and they build it into the Box.

So, I need the best of the best, I have an unlimited budget, so I can buy anything, it cannot be prebuilt, and must contain these..

at least 5Ghz processor, dougie used to talk about two processors at same time??

At least 500Gb hard space
512 screen card??
8g Ram??

Ok, so I would not normaly have to do this, but Dougie is away! Sorry if I`have done this wrong, as I am a "noob??"

Where can I buy really good parts from, and could you give me links. The best screen card about for video editing I can get - remember I have unlimited money.

Oh yeah, must have three monitors, or two.

Thanks for help...

David

If you have an unlimited budget... Ok… let's start with everything….
CPU's- two amd opteron 275s (two dual cores! That's four cpus! That's like a clock speed of 8+ghz!
Mobo- tyan k8we This mobo supports 16GB OF RAM! Yeah… it's sli too.
Ram- 16gb of corsair registered ram, ballistix…
Videocards- two 7800gtx at 512mb each
Monitors- two dell 24” lcd widescreens
Psu- pc power and cooling turbo-cool 1KW psu
Hd- 5 hitachi deskstar hd's at 500GB EACH! THAT'S TWO TB's!
Raid controller- sata netcell revolution
Optical drives- two plextor px-716sas with sata interface…
Sound card- creative sound labs sound blaster x-fi (24 times better than the best sound blaster card out right now)
Speakers- logitech's z5500e's
Keyboard and mouse- metadot keyboard and logtiect G5
OS- Microsoft xp pro
Total price: around $13,000

Can I ask, are you at TV Centre (Shepherd's Bush) or somewhere else? What you'll need no doubt depends on where you are and what you need the machine for. Surely you've got backup systems? What software do you normally use for editing?

But what jac006 said sounds good.

jac, nice but no need for 7800GTX since they are not going to play games on it (atleast they shouldn't :p ) A Quadro FX4500 (or then a newer Quadro FX if there is one) shoud be great for video editing.

Wow... that was such a waste of a post... cmon man, grow up and act mature. Either help him out or don't post at all... thanks for the understanding.

I'm finding it hard to believe this guy. He's saying one of the largest Media corporations on the planet has a bust computer and they don't have any back-ups? And he's came to a computer forum to get help? Instead of calling their headquarters and getting a replacement? Wouldn't this situation cause a fair amount of chaos?

Lac3y said:
I'm finding it hard to believe this guy. He's saying one of the largest Media corporations on the planet has a bust computer and they don't have any back-ups? And he's came to a computer forum to get help? Instead of calling their headquarters and getting a replacement? Wouldn't this situation cause a fair amount of chaos?

I must be honest and I agree, it just doesn't ring true.....the BBC has a huge IT department, just check its website for that, which is multifaceted to say that one guy is responsible for all of it, just well.............I just have my doubts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom