Need Help! :( :(

thetibb

Beta member
Ok so it all started earlier today I was on my desktop and had my USB flash drive in. Well I started getting Explorer error messages, and the computer kept randomly shutting off.

My girlfriends laptop had the same drive in it and started doing the same. Virus check confirmed bad things on the drive, so I quit using it.

HOWEVER, I tried to format my hard drive and it wouldn't let me, tons of errors and weird messages.

I got Windows to start and did the system restore which worked, now my desktop seems fine.

Her laptop however is bad. It won't start Windows, it comes to a Windows login screen, never had a login, you click OK, and it starts, but Explorer doesn't run. Then comes up with a error message and says it is closing.

However in recent minutes I start it and it starts normally, when the Windows music plays though it skips, then the screen goes blue, and shuts off faster then I can read the message. When I try to run the Windows XP disc it just says hard drive cannot be found. I am running a HD check on the BIOS screen right now.

ANY ideas how to fix this????

ALSO, I cannot run safe mode, F8 does not open a Windows screen or anything.

Attached is a photo of the blue screen message.

simontibbett

As long as you can get to the desktop download AVG free and run a fast scan. There's also another tool that I can suggest, once I find the name. I'll edit this post when I get it.

EDIT: This is quoted by Spec, a member of our forums -

i have a good recommendation, download http://www.combofix.org/ - combofix, probably removes ANY virus..boot into windows not safe mode or anything of the such..go to that website and download it..save it as like 123.exe but not combofix because most trojans/viruses disable it. after you save it, run it and let it finish, may take ten minutes to two hours, do NOT open any other programs while running, your screen will flicker and the computer will act like its goign al funky, this is normal, after its done running it will clsoe and a log will pop up. This should fix your problem.

also system restore most likely will not work because half the time viruses infect your system restore files.

Thanks, but see I can't even get to Windows :( right when it starts the message comes up.

I've had safe mode work a few times but only safe mode in command, not just regular safe mode.

One option is to boot a live linux cd, connect an external storage device, grab all the files you want to save and run away formatting as you go.

I've never done this but maybe you could get some sort of virus scanner that boots off a cd before Windows starts up then you could get them all.

The Ultimate Boot CD seams to have an option to do that.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

The Ultimate Boot CD seams to have an option to do that.http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

+1. You get rep for that. I use that ALL the time when I can't access customer's files when they've really done themselves in. I back up all their important data from the UBCD and reformat and install. You can certainly try running some virus scans from UBCD, but in my experience, if there's nothing too important worth losing (as in program wise), I just wipe it and reinstall. So much faster than scanning and checking and scanning and checking, etc. etc. etc.

Back
Top Bottom