Need help!!

JamesMcBride

Beta member
Ok here's the deal: I've recently had my computer upgraded and it's been more than a headache! At first I wanted more RAM and a bigger graphics card... The lady at the shop told me that because of the type of RAM I was on and the motherboard I might aswell get a new motherboard for an extra £40 so I did.

She messed up installing the RAM and the motherboard and windows crashed - then she lost all my programs and files. Then, after a week she said my computer was ready - took it home, crashed a lot, then it totally broke down.

Took it back to the shop, spent another 2 days in workshop then she calls me "Yup. Everything is working ok. All yours". Take it home and there are STILL problems with the machine.

I'm asking you guys for help because I feel sick at the thought of taking it back to that inept woman... Plus having spent nearly £400 on the upgrade I haven't got any money left (or time) to have it sitting in another workshop... Here are my problems:

1. I had a copy of World of Warcraft that ran on a P3, 256Mb RAM, 64Mb Graphics card... Now, I have a P4, 1Gb RAM and 128Mb Graphics card and it won't run, bombs out, graphics are jerky on the lowest setting - checked the graphics card and it IS compatible with the game. Please don't ask me to change the AGP aperture (I've tried and I nearly ruined my computer)

How do I get this sorted out???

2. My CD drive has gone kaput! I put a CD in - it flashes intermittedly for about 10 seconds then the read light comes on and stays on. I click the [D:] icon and it says "Please insert a disk into drive D:". I re-boot my computer, on startup - does the same thing while running startup... Flashes intermittedly then light stays on and again, on double click "Please insert a disk into drive D:"... I've been to countless forums, troubleshooting pages, downloaded the correct drivers but still, nothing.

I downloaded the official drivers BUT when I go to "Update drivers" on my hardware devices etc... it cannot find any INF files or cannot find the ATAPI files... Even when I locate the folder manually it doesn't have the relevant files in it :-S

I'm tired, lost, stuck, confused and angry! PLease help me!

LOL Ask the lady for her certificates. Always do that when you let someone fix your computer. That woman simply didn't know how to fix it.

It was your decision to trust this person, so you only have yourself to blame.
Since everything is all screwed up, why don't do YOU do a clean fresh installation from scratch.
((She may have just installed a new motherboard, RAM etc. but your Windows installation was setup for your OLD mobo, so there may be many conflicts!

Well yes, I made the conscious decision to go to this lady but I wouldn't say "I've got myself to blame" since it's not like I tried to cut corners and now I'm suffering the consequences - it was a reputable computer workshop.

As for buying a new computer - yes, I would... But having spent £400 getting his one upgraded, I just can't write-off that amount of money.

Back
Top Bottom