need advice on fan connectors

laurencewithau

Beta member
Hi, I'm building my own computer. The case is a corsair 760T black v2 ATX full tower.
It has three 3 pin connector fans. The motherboard has 4 pin plugs.
The 3 pin connectors will fit the plugs, but it means losing the fan speed control function. The case manual say that a fan speed selector can be installed.
It says to connect the case Sata power connector to a PSU sata power cable.
I've done that.
And, too, it says to connect the 3 pin fan connector to the case fan header. This latter, I take it, is a reference to the four case cables I've found, each ending in a 3 pin plug.
But I'm confused, which I hope that you are not.
If I unplug the fan connectors from the mobo and re-connect them to the case headers, will I be making a big mistake?
Will the fans work?
They will be connected, remember, not to the mobo but to the case fan headers, which is what I assume that they are.
The mobo, by the way, is an Asus Z97-AR ATX LGA1150. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Last edited:
You have to leave the CPU fan plugged in to the motherboard or the alarm goes off indicating stalled fan or no fan.

3 wire has only a tachometer. The MB can only see how fast they are spinning. The speed of the fans are controlled by using PWM on the power leads. Old school and not real efficient. 4 wire has the tach and a speed controller. The power to the fans is constant while the speed control is done over the extra lead. Most of the time the lead is blue. The other lead which can be green, yellow, or white, is the tachometer. Reads the speed and adjusts accordingly.
If you're going to run your fans full tilt then the case header will work. But like I did with my Antec case the header and the cheapo fans, they had to go. Look for Cougar Vortech fans over at newegg. Get the four wire versions.

Hi, I'm building my own computer. The case is a corsair 760T black v2 ATX full tower.
It has three 3 pin connector fans. The motherboard has 4 pin plugs.
The 3 pin connectors will fit the plugs, but it means losing the fan speed control function. The case manual say that a fan speed selector can be installed.
It says to connect the case Sata power connector to a PSU sata power cable.
I've done that.
And, too, it says to connect the 3 pin fan connector to the case fan header. This latter, I take it, is a reference to the four case cables I've found, each ending in a 3 pin plug.
But I'm confused, which I hope that you are not.
If I unplug the fan connectors from the mobo and re-connect them to the case headers, will I be making a big mistake?
Will the fans work?
They will be connected, remember, not to the mobo but to the case fan headers, which is what I assume that they are.
The mobo, by the way, is an Asus Z97-AR ATX LGA1150. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Install the fan controller as per the manufacturers instructions and it will work as advertised.

Hi setishock. thanks for the reply. yes, I'll look out for 4 pin fans. thanks again

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

Hi technician. thanks for your reply. Yes. I'll try that. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom