My Processor Went From Dual Core to Single?

ravioliiiii

Baseband Member
Hello,

So I performed some hardware upgrades on my Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2. I bought a new hard drive, some new RAM, ordered the HIS Radeon HD 4650 AGP graphics card (coming in on Wed.) Shortly after putting in a new hard drive and RAM, my monitor stopped responding to the computer. That is fixed now, but before my monitor wasn't responding, I had a Windows 7 gadget on my desktop telling me my RAM and CPU usage. Prior to the nonresponding monitor fix (basically removing the CMOS battery and putting it back in) that gadget would show my RAM reading, Core 1 reading, and Core 2 reading. Ever since my monitor started working again, that same gadget only gives me the reading on Core 1. What happened to Core 2? I know removing that battery resets the BIOS. Do I have to do something in the BIOS settings?

I'm not sure. But I suppose this would be better suited for the software part of the forum.

Regardless, I hope it gets fixed.

OEM systems can be touchy about their BIOS settings, so when you reset the CMOS, it's possible that you disabled the other core in the BIOS (a safety measure in some OEM motherboards). You can usually find it under an option like "Core Duplexing" or "SMP/SMT Enable/Disable"

Back
Top Bottom