MY PC Wont Read OS

DRBagabundo

Solid State Member
I just recently formatted my PC and reinstalled Windows XP. The problem is the when I tried to boot the computer up with the Windows CD, the PC would not boot the CD!

I then connected my hard drive to one of my older computers, running Windows 98 and formatted it there with the XP CD.

When I formatted it and connected it back into my PC it gave me the error message: "Could not boot operating system" or something to that effect.

Now I'm pretty sure that when I connected the computer back up again, I connected it right but who knows... I can take pics of the computers guts if I have to!

Please help me guys, I would really appreciate it.

^^ definately....i had this exact same problem the other building my new PC. Turn ou tthe CD drive was faulty. Try a new drive.

A couple of questions:

You say you formatted in another pc, which file format did you use FAT32 or NTFS?

When you did this did you install Windows or just format?

When you tried to boot from the CD was your rom drive first boot device?

Check your cabling and power leads to the drive to ensure they are indeed correctly connected.

Is the drive recognised in the bios?

You state that you formatted and reinstalled windows then tried to boot to the CD, why would you want to do that with a fresh windows install on your hdd?

some systems ask that you press the space bar to boot the cd
try your pc with just one drive installed set to master as someone has already said make sure that the system is set to boot the cd drive as the 1st boot device in bios.

#1: If you install Windows XP on a completely different machine and trnasfer the drive like that, it will NOT work.

#2: If you can, try swapping the CD drives. If the other CD drive was able to boot, then transfer it onto yours. If it doesn't, make sure that ion your BIOS, the CD drive is set to boot first.

no as win xp will know that this is not the pc it was installed on therefore it will not boot. when xp installs it recognises your mobo and other components you have installed within the system so when you put the drive into another pc it knows this is not the correct pc it was installed on.

ASSEMBLER said:
no as win xp will know that this is not the pc it was installed on therefore it will not boot. when xp installs it recognises your mobo and other components you have installed within the system so when you put the drive into another pc it knows this is not the correct pc it was installed on.
Not entirely true. Windows XP relies on the hard drive controller. IF you have a chipset of the same company, it should work. Or, the exact Chipset brand is something else to rely.

Alright, I was able to get the Drive to boot up the installation CD, I had it connected wrong...

Anywho, I'm using a backup of my Windows XP Home Edition CD. I already re-formatted the hard drive and when Windows tries to do the installation, it gives me an error message and says that something could not be verified or something to that effect...

Is it because I'm using a backup?

I lost my original windows CD right after I made the backup after I moved so now I don't have the original to try it out with...
My HP computer does have the windows authetification number on the case but I still need to know how to fix this problem....

I love the responses I get on this website, thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom