my pc is freezing after reformatting hard drive ?

kundi13

Baseband Member
found a virus/ trojan win32.monderc.gen

zone alarm and other anti virus softwares couldnt remove it so i saved my data and formatted the hard drive on a different computer. after installing a fresh copy of windows xp pro sp2 i took the hard drive and connected it to the original computer however it finds the hard drive but after posting it takes me to an option menu saying safe mode, start windows normally, which ever one i click on it just freezes.

whats happened there ?

its a p3 1ghz computer 800mb ram.

found a virus/ trojan win32.monderc.gen

zone alarm and other anti virus softwares couldnt remove it so i saved my data and formatted the hard drive on a different computer. after installing a fresh copy of windows xp pro sp2 i took the hard drive and connected it to the original computer however it finds the hard drive but after posting it takes me to an option menu saying safe mode, start windows normally, which ever one i click on it just freezes.

whats happened there ?

its a p3 1ghz computer 800mb ram.

put the hdd on the original computer and then install the OS, from what I've heard and experienced firsthand, unless most of the chipsets are almost identical, you can't use the "plug and play" method with hdds in XP from one motherboard to another...

yeah thats correct, windows XP works on a "points system" each points is determinded by the type of hardware-if Windows xp detects more than few different hardware components to the "hardware id" it took when windows was orginally installed, it will not boot.

The soloution is excatly what wol-va-rine said, make sure the hard drive is in the computer you want to use when reinstalling windows.

well ive managed to boot from cd on the original pc and ive formatted the hard drive on that same original pc which had the virus , however after formatting i proceeded to install xp after it copied the installation files on to the hard drive it told me to reboot and then boot from hard drive now when i boot from hard drive it freezes.

ive never expereienced this in my life ive taken out the additional pci cards but kept the vital ones and yet still freezing.

what could be wrong?

bad sectors in your hdd, virus can really screw your harddrive up, try putting the disk in again and repairing it and use these commands:

press f3 to repair, then you will go into a black dos screen, press 1 then enter, now it will ask for a pass, type nothing in and press enter or type your pass in, now type chkdsk /p then chkdsk /f

I think thats it, then it will attempt to recover it, if it says errors bad sectors im afraid you might have to buy a new hdd but you can still recover your old one by setting it as slave when your new hdd is in and copy /paste them on your new harddrive

goodluck hope this helps.

well ive managed to boot from cd on the original pc and ive formatted the hard drive on that same original pc which had the virus , however after formatting i proceeded to install xp after it copied the installation files on to the hard drive it told me to reboot and then boot from hard drive now when i boot from hard drive it freezes.

ive never expereienced this in my life ive taken out the additional pci cards but kept the vital ones and yet still freezing.

what could be wrong?

have you tried going into the bios and setting all the default values...? it's worth a try...

well after performing chksdk /p it said it found more than 1 errors but when i installed xp on the different computer it worked perfectly. anyways so what i did was i disabled usb controllers via bios and then it managed to boot up from hard drive and now ive installed xp on it and ive enabled the usb controllers aswell and its working touch wood.

weird hey, what you guys have to say about that although it did say more than 1 errors found when i performed chkdsk /p ??

well after performing chksdk /p it said it found more than 1 errors but when i installed xp on the different computer it worked perfectly. anyways so what i did was i disabled usb controllers via bios and then it managed to boot up from hard drive and now ive installed xp on it and ive enabled the usb controllers aswell and its working touch wood.

weird hey, what you guys have to say about that although it did say more than 1 errors found when i performed chkdsk /p ??

did you have something in the usb port and have the usb as the first boot priority...? maybe it was trying to boot off the usb...? that's all I can think of...

having few problems thou. windows is installed but now my internnet explorer sometimes freezes. ive loaded java, shockwave and flash players. internet explorer freezes when a page loads up which is pising me off. its internet explorer 6.

Back
Top Bottom