Is my Motherboard dead?

brockwed

Baseband Member
Hi, recently my computer has been acting werid. First I was getting some error code 39 which wouldnt let me use my keyboard. Microsoft did not know how to fix this and niether did my tech guy. Next my computer would randomly go into the "Blue Screen". Finally my computer doesnt even start up, I can hear all the internals running but there is no sound and no picture on my monitor. I tried my monitor with another computer and it worked. My tech guy came out and said he "thinks" my motherboard is bad. What do you guys think. Currently it has an ASUS P4T533-C motherboard. The tech guy told me I should get the same motherboard so I dont have to reinstall windows or something like that. My tech guy isent returning my calls for a week so im asking you guys for help. Thanks!

-Brock :cool:

Well even if you do get the same motherboard as you have now it is still a good idea to give it a full re-format just incase, but I would say your motherboard is dead, how old is the board?, have you made sure all leads are correctly inserted to where they should be? have you tried fiddling around with it?.

I bought the motherboard with the computer i think in 2001 or 2002. I tried messing with it but it didnt work, and my tech guy made sure it was all plugged in. What will i do with all my music, photos, and other stuff if i reformat the drive or reinstall windows? Defiently dont want to loose that.

Well you can still put in a new motherboard and start your pc as normal but it's a good idea to back it up after installing the new motherboard and then full re-format it after you have backed it all up.

Even if you don't get the very same board, at the very least you may have to do only a repair install which will leave all your files, music, photos, etc., intact.

More info: XP Repair install.

Are you sure you can put a new MOBO in and run the PC normal? Becuase my tech guy said it has to have the same Chipset? or something of that sort.

It would be best to have the same chipset to avoid any conflicts with your current installation. But as long as your CPU, memory and all are compatible with the new board, just set up the BIOS as posted in that link and do the repair install on first boot.

What motherboard would you recommend. Im not sure how much they are but I primarily use my computer for listening to Music, Photoshop, and the occasional game. I dont think i want to spend any more than $250.. . Becuase i will have to buy new memory because my current MOBO takes some werid memory thats old I believe. Thanks!

ok what cpu have you got , and if you could remeber the meory type thn you may be in lu8ck as well , also i would loo on ebay for a replacement mobo of the same type could get a bargin

Back
Top Bottom