Is my friends dad right?

allenn812

Daemon Poster
ok, heres her story.

Ok, me and my dad were about to leave. and he was like "kate shut off your music" and i was like "its playing from my computer." and he's like "so..i'm trying to save energy..go turn off your music" and i was just like "it wont make a difference whether real player is open or not" and he said "yes it will!! blah blah blah" is he right?

So the question is, will having more programs running on a computer raise the amount of energy it uses? If it does, by how much?

It does.. but not noticably.. I mean that program, well it wont matter either way. But also depending on the speaker size.. that could make a difference. But what really takes the power is the processor. I mean that by the strain you put on it. Because the harder it runs, the more power it consumes, but like i said.. its just how demanding the prog is.. and realplayer does matter.. But say you have 5.1 well that takes up quite a bit. I mean it costs (where i love) 50 cents (american) a day to keep my computer running.. just dont leave a game running, or anything else thats really demanding of the processor for a long period of time, and you will be fine.

arrizx said:
(where i love)
haha :D
It shouldn't really make any diffrence unless u got some nice ass speakers but just running the program won't make a noticably difference.

It makes a big difference only if
1. U have oc'd ur cpu to the heavens and above
2. U are running some stuff like cpu benchmarks which use the processor almost 100%.

But just leaving the music on won't make a big difference.

yeah, I mean, the PSU is only going to draw out what power it has capable in Watts anyway, and this only really depends on the load of hardware...not exactly what you are running on it when its running.

Like for example if its running off CD Audio, your having to set up a CD drive in the computer (about 3-5watts?), okay, not a biggey...and then you need speakers which usually draws from a seperate power source (This can be a slight bit heftier in power usage, but not much really...) but yeah, a music program is not really going to make any difference.

If you want, get some headphones that have really good bass and quality, and use them. They only draw out what the sound card uses :p

Back
Top Bottom