My first custom build with i7 4770k haswell

robby963

Solid State Member
hi guys im new to this site and today i got some of the pieces to a custom build i decided to do :) ok so i ordered them all online but dont worry i dont plan on leaving it as it is, i plan to overclock eventually but for now just get some more ram and hopefully a set of graphics cards so i cant take advantage of crossfire. anyway heres wat i have.

gigabyte z87 d3hp haswell
i7 4770k haswell
1x8gb corsair vengeance low profile ddr2
64gb sata SSD
500gb seagate HDD (windows 7 ultimate 64bit)
corsair cx430m psu
zalman cnps11x extreme cooling
galaxy 3 gaming case with led's

so there you have it but i know one thing..... your all thinking why have my operating system on my HDD instead of my SSD but its only temporary. i only did that to see actual performance difference between the both of them, its been a while since since i used a seagate 500gb in a desktop but its my first with a SSD so i want the full experience of both to see for myself the real difference.

tomorrow i will install it to my SSD permanently as my OS and format my HDD

if anyone has questions, suggestions, comments and advice on my rig let me know im all for hearing opinions :)

i tried attaching pictures but its dreadfully slow and its definitely not my connection. ill try again soon

So you've bought this already?

What sort of opinion are you looking for? What do you plan to do with your computer?

yes ive bought this already and eventually it will be used for gaming but for now i just want to save a few pennies and get the best pair of graphics cards i can for the motherboard.

opinion wise im just looking for people who have has the same parts who want to discuss how they run on there pc's. basically just people to have a chat about computers with seen as im the only one in my family with one of this spec.

FINALLY PICTURES HAVE BEEN UPLOADED!

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 7
do you mean DDR3 ram not ddr2??

Also you're going to want to change that case for a larger one when you get a decent graphics card. (trust me, been there, done that).

You would have been better buying 2x4gb than just 1x8gb of ram (as it would then run in dual channel mode).

One gpu is normally better than two performance wise but you can get more for your money if you run crossfire/sli. (i would never bother with this again, due to heat problems, power consumption and driver issues)

And you will definitely need a bugger Power supply for any decent single GPU.

Maybe you should have posted before you ordered the parts....lol

my first build many moons ago with a cheap case similar to yours and radeon 5770's in crossfire.

i3s9.jpg

f6cw.jpg

yes i agree its better to run 2x4gb rather than 1x8 but my plan is to have all 4 dimm slot with 8gb in each where if i had bought 2x4gb until i could afford all 4x8gb then i would have a ram stick laying about......

and yes its ddr2

and to answer the power supply statement, its only temporary as in a few months my brother is doing a custom build and wants the one i bought. he wont be running multiple graphics cards or a i7 processor so his will be fine with this psu. the only reason i got it was because it was enough to run the pc for now until i can save enough money to buy a 850w and some amd graphics cards so i can use crossfire....

by the way does anyone know what ddr my motherboard will take when looking to buy graphics cards....i see ddr5 constantly but i dont know if mine is forward/backward compatible......

oh and im going to look for lower profile GC's so it does fit lol no way im buying another case :D

Honestly, your going to have to change that case to run crossfire. And you cant get low profile graphics cards. (unless your looking at old crappy ones). And the memory (RAM) has to be DDR3 as bk_123 has pointed out, that is all your mobo will support.

When your seeing DDR5, that relates to graphic card memory (GDDR) not ram (DDR). And yes your mobo will support any PCI-e GPU regardless of the GDDR type.(GDDR3or GDDR5)

Hope this helps.

This from the manufacturers website for the your mobo
4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory
* Due to a Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than the size of the physical memory installed.
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 3000(O.C.) / 2933(O.C.) / 2800(O.C.) / 2666(O.C.) / 2600(O.C.) / 2500(O.C.) / 2400(O.C.) / 2200(O.C.) / 2133(O.C.) / 2000(O.C.) / 1866(O.C.) / 1800(O.C.) / 1600 / 1333 MHz memory modules
Support for non-ECC memory modules
Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules
(Please refer "Memory Support List" for more information.)
, See here GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-Z87-D3HP (rev. 1.0)

Sorry guys your right my RAM is DDR3 ! and yes gddr5 i did mean the graphics cards, shame if your right though that ill have to upgrade case for crossfire, you would think they could make them to fit an ATX case, the last thing i want to do buy a new one now ive bought this. and yes i love the case too BK_123 :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom