My first build + First overclock...opinions?

syvmn1

Baseband Member
Well I finished my build and got a little bit into the overclocking and I'm pretty happy where I ended up. Heres the stats:

CPU: AMD 5200+ 2.7ghz
MB: Asus M3A78-EM
RAM: Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800
PSU: Thermaltake 500W
GPU: MSI R4670
HD: Western Digital 250GB 7200rpm
Case: Old one I had sitting around

You can see that I simply upped the Bus speed to 210 to get from 2700mhz to 2835mhz. Anything more than 210 and it hangs up when I restart the computer and says "Overclock Unsuccessful". I overclocked the GPU to 839mhz and 1139mhz....no idea what that means but I get better results from 3dmark06. My ram is 6-6-6-18 and I know that that is kinda slow. I have no idea how to make this thing go faster but it is stable and works well. Total cost was about $350. What do you think?
comp1.jpg

try giving it a little more voltage on the ram then maybe you can pull some more speed out of it and better timming
also post some build pics haha

Will the timing automatically change if I up the voltage? What should I try, like 1.9v?

compy1.jpg

compy2.jpg

compy3.jpg

compy4.jpg

besides needing some cable manigment great job
and no the timeings you set your self
what is your rams timeings on the box say?

They say 6-6-6-18. I'm not really sure where in the bios to change them. I can't imagine that all you have to do it type in 5-5-5-15 and they magically change to that.

As far as cable management goes I have no idea what to do with the extra cables. Actually I have a question about that. Does it make any difference if I have 4 fans hooked up to one cable on the PSU? Does it make a difference if I have 2 fans on 2 different lines or is that irrelevant?

well if thats your timings thats what your suppost to leave them at
for me ram timings are in advanced chipset settings idk where they would be for an amd bored
and ya it is that easy
but if there suppose to be like that leave em

RAM speed in an AMD set up heavily restricts what CPU speeds you can access.

If you use DDR2 PC8500 1066MHz memory instead of the DDR2 PC6400 800MHz RAM your using it'll give you a theoretical CPU starting speed of 266MHz! Because 266 x 4 = 1064MHz = near enough, the operating speed of PC8500 RAM.

Now I don't know if your CPU will hit 266 x 13.5 = 3591Mhz but it will give you CPU speeds a lot higher than 210MHz.

For instance. 3000Mhz shouldn't be hard with PC8500 memory. 222MHz CPU speed is easy with PC 8500 installed in your set up.

And because your not actually OC'ing the PC 8500 RAM you should be able to achieve tighter RAM timings too.

And don't worry if the motherboard manufactures don't state the higher speed memory because they assume your not OC'ing.

It's the RAM in your set up that will restrict your OC.

Hmm, I wish I had known that. Oh well. Is it possible for me to change the timings to 5-5-5-15 or will that not help much?

You can try those timings and see if they're a benefit.

If you boot successfully with those timimgs then check the RAM with Memtest.

Back
Top Bottom