My copmuter runs SLOWER after adding more RAM

baxterr

Beta member
Hello everyone.

So as the title says, my computer runs significantly slower after I added more ram.
I had 2x256 MB @ 200 mhz and then added 2x1GB @ 800 mhz on the other 2 ddr2 slots. (i removed the 512 ofc) Notice that my motherboard supports ddr1 + ddr2 400/533 mhz.

Some of my friends says that a BIOS update,full format and a disc defragment will fix the problem.
I haven't updated the BIOS since I bought the PC,as I never had problems with it. Also I dont know where to find that update for the BIOS and I have checked 'everywhere'. If anyone knows,please help me!

Motherboard : EPoX COMPUTER CO.,LTD i915P DDR + DDR2: 5EDAI
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 04/28/2005

You computer is just old. It depends on the type of RAM you install. If you install RAM that is slower than the old RAM then the computer would run slower.

It might be a problem with the hard drive. Try defragmenting it. Also, if there is no problem with the BIOS, no sense in updating it.

you might have to update your bios or upgrade to a newer one so it supports DDR3, or if you have money you could get a new computer.

you might have to update your bios or upgrade to a newer one so it supports DDR3, or if you have money you could get a new computer.

Updating the BIOS never adds support for DDR3 on a board that doesn't support it. DDR3 memory modules are physically different from DDR2 modules. DDR3 RAM will not fit into a DDR2 slot.

I believe he was referring to upgrading the motherboard as he had already suggested updating the BIOS as a separate solution.

Try removing the DDR1 RAM modules, a machine can only run as fast as it's slowest link.

I believe he was referring to upgrading the motherboard as he had already suggested updating the BIOS as a separate solution.

Try removing the DDR1 RAM modules, a machine can only run as fast as it's slowest link.
i cant believe from 4 people that answer, none of them hadnt read the whole question -_-

Last edited:
From my short search, Epox has gone bankrupt several years ago and is no longer in business.
I did find this if it's any help.
EPoX Driver Download for Windows. <-- nodevice.com

1st thing I would do is enter the bios and either look for some settings for ram, or reset the bios to factory default and reboot. See if that help.
It is possible one of your ram modules is bad.
You can do 2 things, Boot with memtest cd and test your ram or pull one of the 1gb sticks out and see if it improves, swap and test again.

Back
Top Bottom