my comp is messing up...

dewdman101

Baseband Member
I dont know if this is the right forum but its my best guess...anyways, im talkin to this person over the phone, when she boots her comp up after a few seconds later( 30 or 40 seconds) a blue screen pops up saying physical memory dump. so im like ok this should be easy, i tell her to go to start/run/msconfig.......it says it cant find it. she is running on a windows professional computer and i tihnk she has around 256 mb of ram well thers my problem can anyone fix?

Yeah this is the right forum :) As for the problem i'd suggest bad memory and so it seems the 256mb of RAM needs changing and then it should work.

As her if she knows to get the same speed ram she has now, or ask her to give you the name of the motherboard, including the model number so we can search for compatable memory :)

Well she is booting to Windows.This is just a glitch then.
Have you verified your memory is detected as 256 ?
Right click my computer and click propertys.Does you memory appear right ? And everyhing else ?
Re safe mode advice : Why do you and others feel this is the devine cure ?
It's what you do WHEN you get there any way you can,preferably normal.
p.s. This has nothing to do with msconfig.

well i was tryin to get into MSconfig so i could put it into safe boot, but i told her to tap F12 at the beggining of her startup and told her to set it to safe boot. my theory is she has a virus. she says she has problem with aim and yahoo messenger and she DOES not want to get rid of them. i figure its a virus and the only way besides an antivirus is to use msconfig/startup and uncheck and the unfamiliar files. but iunno she seems kinda ditsy but atleast im not talkin to a person who doesnt know how to maximize the window like i was last week.

thx,
cody

dewdman101 said:
well i was tryin to get into MSconfig so i could put it into safe boot, but i told her to tap F12 at the beggining of her startup and told her to set it to safe boot. my theory is she has a virus. she says she has problem with aim and yahoo messenger and she DOES not want to get rid of them. i figure its a virus and the only way besides an antivirus is to use msconfig/startup and uncheck and the unfamiliar files. but iunno she seems kinda ditsy but atleast im not talkin to a person who doesnt know how to maximize the window like i was last week.

thx,
cody
So you really mean "selective startup" when you say safe boot.
I use it on a permanent basis. :)
Yahoo messenger could have a lot to do with this.Disable it.
Then go here.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
Let them decide,don't assume.

I honestly don't think its a virus.

A memory dump with loads of 0000x000 for example will be bad memory I'm sure of it.
Aim and Yahoo Messenger would do nothing to it.

Usually booting into Safemode is something the F8 button would do to, though hmm...does f12 do it too?

Get her to try new memory though. Even if it means borrowing it off you for a test run. Trust me, you might find it boots up very smoothly indeed :)

EDIT: If she has 2 sticks of 128mb of RAM for example, test each one individually

dewdman101 said:

thx,
cody

All of my computers use F8 for safe mode... :D

Here's Microsofts spin on safe mode.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222

Hehe yeah, thats what I said :p Does f12 as well though? I might have to try that...

I honestly do not think its a virus though like the above post and so going into safemode would most likley cause it to happen the same way.

Look at my above post as to the RAM side of things

FYI....some manufactures have edited their windows installations to use the F5 key for the start-up page. I think it is either dell or gateway or both. Anyway it is not all their computers but just certain models.
So don't be surprised when you find out that F12 or any other F key is used for all kinds of shortcuts.

Back
Top Bottom