My cd drive is unrecognized

Js62789

Beta member
I recently had to reinstall windows xp on my laptop because it had formerly crashed and I just realized when I opened My Computer that there was no cd drive logo. Just to double check, I went into Windows Media Player and clicked on the Rip tab and it also said "a cd drive is needed in order to rip music from cds". I figured that the hardware for my drive is missing and I was wondering what I can do to configure my computer to enable my cd drive.

Just incase it's necessary, my computer is a Compaq Presario M2000 with a dvd/cd-rw drive.

Goto your device manager and check in there for any red or yellow symbols, if you have any, then install the drivers for them.

if is removeable make sure it is seated probably cos once the same thing happened to me and i removed the drive and then firmly pushed it back into its slot and everything was working after this

Raffaz said:
Why? it was working before the clean install

When you re-install windows it reformats, so any drivers on the hard disk have to be reinstalled. I had this problem a few months ago.

AlexF1224 said:
When you re-install windows it reformats, so any drivers on the hard disk have to be reinstalled. I had this problem a few months ago.

He clearly stated firmware, firmware is not the same as a driver. Firmware is on a chip inside the drive, this does not get wiped when you do a clean install.

Back
Top Bottom