My build..

MarxSoccer

BSOD
Alright, working on a build. Have the case, so pretty much need everything. What I am wanting help from you guys on is the HDD, mobo, processor and ram.

This is going to be for gaming, of course!

Noa bout hdd's, I found this 37gb SCSI 80 pin 15,000 rpm 16mb cache Hitachi for only like $184: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822141140

Now is that worth it? I was planning on having an external, but couldn't I just get another internal hdd instead of having to carry around an external and messing with usb and such? The other one would probably just be a 7200rpm for, well, for those of you who use external's/a second hdd, do you just store your pictures and documents on them, and then store the games you'll be playing, such as steam with CS CS:s DOD etc, on the nice hdd?

Onto the mobo/processor/ram

I don't know whether most of you choose your mobo according to your processor, or choose your processor according to you mobo, but I was thinking.. AMD for sure, not sure on the processor yet. Don't think I want to go dual core since all of the dual core and gaming conflicts, not sure about which one yet. And then I found this Lanparty mobo because on newegg I searched using the following..

Cpu socket type-939
and for the max lan speed, I selected dual 10/100/1000mbps, everything else was just any besides the form factor which is atx..

In that search most of them are the dfi boards. Few or maybe just the one DFI board, says SLI in the title, you don't need to be SLI anything in order to use it do you? I'm thinking that might be nice just to have incase down the road..

Here are the results from that search, I'd like one to be from here, since they are all Dual 10/100/1000mbps ;)

Then I guess after that, we'd find a processor that works? Not to familiar with AMD's and their cores, just heard some gossip abotu what's good and what's not, would need some help with that. But I was just thinking 3500+ at the minimum, I mean that is a nice chip isnt it? then up to maybe a 4000+ or something..

Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah, the mobo needs to work with this (PCI express x16) MSI NX6600GT PCI-e 3d-accelerated graphics board, 128MB GDDR3

why make the other slower hd external just get a cheap 200gig maxtor hdd and stick it in as a slave:)

OK, firstly:

Stay away from SCSI. You'd have to buy a SCSI adaptor, and it'll also be very noisy. SCSI was designed and built for servers, not desktops.

SLI means you can use 2 PCI-E graphics cards together in the same board, and adding another card improves the frame rate between 20 and 50%, depending on game, resolution, and the card itself.

For storage, get 2 200GB hard drives. Make the internal one SATA 2, say a Samsung Spinpoint P120S, and make the external one SATA with a USB connection, say Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 which can be picked up cheaply.

Don't think I want to go dual core since all of the dual core and gaming conflicts

There are no conflicts. It's just that at the moment, many games aren't dual core enabled, so they only use one core. This means the game sees your PC as single core. Dual core is good when you have more than one program open, as it can evenly distribute the load. If you can afford it, dual core is the way to go, and its not even that expensive.

If you really cannot afford it, or if you don't want to, get the 3500+ Socket 939. For the motherboard, I would say choose either the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe/Standard/Premium depending on what you can afford, or the DFI Lanparty SLI-DR/SLI-D. If you don't want SLI, which is rather stupid as the previous boards are the best you can get for AMD, SLI or no SLI, take a look at the DFI Lanparty Ultra-D. And if your really short of money take a look at the Abit AX8 Version 2.0.

If you get an SLI board, then you can just use one graphics card with the board, yes. The 6600GT is a nice choice of graphics card.

For memory, you want 1GB (2x512MB) or 2GB (2x1GB) depending on what you can afford. You want 184-pin DDR, and it can be any stuff, aslong as it's DDR400.

I never really dealt with SCSI, but they are suppose to be fast. You will need an additional SCSI controller to operate it. You can get the Western Digital Raptor HD. They are pretty fast but cost a lot for storage capacity.

I still think you should get a dual core processor because it does a great job of running more than one program at a time. Faster.

For SLi, yeah, you don't have to have two graphics card to use an SLi supported motherboard. You can run a 6600GT now and add another one later on if you wish. Just make sure you are using the 6600GT chipset instead of a 6800 or a 7800 card. I don't think it really matter what manufacturer you use as long as they're both 6600GT.

For motherboards, I feel DFI make great motherboards. All the new motherboards are pretty good such as DFI, Asus, MSI, Abit. I think that's it as far as mainstream motherboard goes. Others are good too but the ones I listed are very popular. I would look at what each one offer in terms of features. Make sure they all support PCI-e which I'm sure they all do. Use Socket 939 to take advantage of faster bus and dual channel. If you choose single core CPU, a 4000+ San Diego is nice. If you can't afford a dual core CPU.

About the harddrive, I guess I can go SATA. Then, for the other hdd, i'd just use another internal, probably only 7200 set as slave. Is that east like in the dropdown menu where you have C A my documents etc, will it be on that list?

Ram, 2gb..

So there are no conflicts with games and dual core processors, it just doesn't read it as dual core? I don't want to be having to mess around with stuff just to play a game.. I don't know, might go with a 3800+ 4000+ or somethign around there, probably 3800+ at least.

I don't get SLI. I get that it's like combining two for the power of two, but when you have 2 video cards, then you're going to have 2 vga ports on the back, you're still only plugging it into one of them?

How is the DFI SLI board compared to another non SLI board, if you're not using the SLI capabilities? Is it still better or does it only stand out with the SLI..

go with dual core marx because one core focuses on the game and the other on all the windo apps u cant close so it would be better actuall.

Back
Top Bottom