My Book 1tb external HD problem???

Tawy

Solid State Member
Hey all,

I bought myself a new external hard drive today called My Book by Western Digital with a 1 terabyte capacity.

I connected it to laptop and it wasn't showing up under My Computer so I went on their site for support. There it said that the HD is set up for macs with "HFS+ Journaled formatting" and that it first had to be formatted for Windows. So I followed their guidelines** and started formatting it in NTFS as suggested by them.

Now the HD has been formatting since about 2.30 - 3 h and it is still formatted only 18%. I don't think this is normal, is it? Does this mean my HD is faulty or did I do something wrong?

Thank you very much for your help,

Tawy

**Link to their guidelines:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc...nBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9MTU1MA**&p_li=&p_topview=1

A 1TB hard drive takes a very long time to format.

You did everything correctly it seems, so just sit tight and let it format.

I think that is a little slower than usual, but if it is still formatting, don't do anything, just let it run. Remember a full terabyte will take a very long time.

Thank you for your quick reply!

I just got worried because I started googleing for formatting times of external HDs and everywhere it said that for a 160-250gb HD it would take around 20-40 minutes. So I concluded that mine should be around 2 hours maybe but not 15 hours..!

It will take a long time. Just let it do it's thing.

External drives of this size, via USB, will be slow formatters.

Back
Top Bottom