Must I use Gateway approved parts?

ddman

Baseband Member
I am ordering a Gateway AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core 2GHz Media Center Computer (GT5056)

it has 1 gb of ram, 2X 512mb cache, 300watt power supply.

The open ports are 1 x PCI-E x16, 1 x PCI-E x1, 1 x PCI

Must i buy a power supply and RAM from Gateway? Will other power supplies and RAM not work if i install them?

I'm thinking about buying 1 gig of ram to upgrade to 2 gb total. I am also thinking about getting a new video card, But most of the video cards i want require 350-500 watt power supply. So do i have to buya Gateway PSU or does it matter?

I have a 600 dollar limit, what is the best Video for the dollar?

Well have you checked whats the wattege of the PSU of your gateway you may not need a new one

PSU should not be a problem, you should be able to buy a 500 watt psu of your choice and not worry about compatability, same deal with the RAM. Right now, i would suggest for someone on budget to go with the 7600gt, but if you can afford it the 7900gt is also a decent buy at the moment. of course it is considerably more expensive, but it's performance is also a factor to consider.

"Well have you checked whats the wattege of the PSU of your gateway you may not need a new one"

It's 300 watts.

And all the high end cards require 350 watts+

I still havn't figured out what card i should get.

Price isnt'a factor, but I dont' want to spend 200 dollars more if it's not necesary.

Back
Top Bottom