Mouse & keyboard not sending signal?

Tragic Hero

Solid State Member
I recently purchased a few upgrades for my computer: nvidia 7300 GT 512, 2G DDR PC2-4200 533, 3.6Ghz 800mhz & an A-Bit GD8 Pro LGA775 motherboard. Decent stuff, but not over the top.

Anyway, I got carried away when 3 of the 4 upgrades arrived at once and I sat down to install them before thinking ahead to the fact that my old video card was not compatable, so I'd have to wait for it to arrive before dropping it all in at once.

So, I settled for putting my old motherboard and components back into my tower. After everything was hooked up, I booted up and my mouse/keyboard are not responding.

To be more exact, when I boot up, my monitor does not come out of hibernation when I use my mouse or keyboard. So, either a) something is interfering with the devices and the system booted up fine or b) something serious happened during dis/assembly and the system isn't booting up at all.

But without some sort of screen to look at and work off, I have no idea what's going on.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on, or what I could do to try and remedy this? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

-Tragic

try re-seating ur ram... pull all the sticks out and put them back in (make sure u take them all out then put them in NOT just pop one out put it back and do the next)

hmm, no change; I didn't remove the ram or cpu from the original motherboard. i took them all out together and put them all back in together.

I'm mostly worried that something got damaged in the transition. but i'm just hoping it's something small or stupid i'm overlooking in the reassembly.

Thank you though

maybe ur motherboard is touching something metal... maybe a screw got dropped or something...

so basically its not ur keyboard and mouse ... ur not getting video from the start correct

edit: also make sure ur Vid card is Set in good... and if it requires power from ur PSU make sure its connected as well...

why dont you post the specs of the old stuff as well

old specs (ones currently not functioning): a-bit asus IS7 E motherboard, 1G DDR Ram, Geforce FX 5600 256MB, 2.4Mhz CPU

yea I'm not getting any video; the monitor doesn't respond at all when I boot up (it is successfuly connecting to the video card as the "not connected" screen goes away when hooking it up). screen remains black on start up, in hibernation mode, waiting for me to come back from idle by touching the mouse or keyboard.

so, since all I'm getting is a black screen, i don't know if it's just a video feed or if it's something with the motherboard/cpu etc. I could be getting a huge error on start up, but I can't see it behind the hibernating monitor

What size is your power supply? While the 7300 is not a big offender when it comes to power consumption, usually when the power supply cannot supply enough power, the first thing to function improperly is the video card.

I would suspect this could be a problem because you said that you made a lot of upgrades, but i noticed your power supply stayed the same. If this is a pre-built computer often the manufacturer (this is one of many reason dell has a bad rep), will use the minimal wattage when their choosing the power supply to save on manufacturing costs. You need a minimal 350 watt power supply to make it work according to manufacturer specs.

Also, this may sound stupid, but if you use to use on board video, and now use a 7300 gt, your VGA cable will now plug into a different port. You would have two different VGA ports, one that does nothing and one for your video card. Double check that.

Your monitor isn't hibernating. It's not receiving a video feed. Which could be at fault of an improperly seated VPU (VPU = visual processing unit = graphics card), you plugging it into the wrong VGA port if you have two VGA ports(that's assuming you at one time had onboard video), or an insufficient power supply.

The only time your computer hibernates is after an extended amount of time. And Windows minimal time before going into hibernation i beleive is 30 minutes. If you want to you could try a different mouse or keyboard and see if that can pull your computer out of hibernation.

EDIT: I have some questions which could help us narrow down the problem:

- Do your fans startup?
- Their should be a green light on your motherboard, when you bootup your computer, does this come on?
- Whats your power supply, an exact model would be best, as i suspect an insufficient psu is the culprit here. If not the wattage is good too
- Does your motherboard have onboard video? If so remove the video card and use the onboard video. Your video card could have been DOA (dead on arrival).

What's not the problem

- The ram and the cpu are not the problem. If it were, then you would get a series of beeps whichyou could look up in your mobo manual to detect the problem.

Try disconnecting everything from the mobo except the cpu+fan, then if that works reconnect everything one at a time to try and find the problem

at this time, none of the upgrades are in play; it's all my old stuff still so nothing has changed since the other day when it was all working perfectly.

I've tried removing everything and replacing it again, making sure everything (video card, memory, connections, etc) are seated properly and still no signal.

The cpu, mobo and video card fans all work on start, the mobo green light is on.
the video card is my previous geforce fx 5600 256 still. the power supply is 250W, which has been fine for over a year while i've been using my older setup. once I install my upgrades, I'll probably need a newer power supply as well

Back
Top Bottom