Mounting Zalman CNPS7000C-Cu CPU Cooler on a Socket A Processor

s162217

Baseband Member
Hi,

I am currently rebuilding my old but good socket A computer and I have been trying to find a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu cooler for the last 9 months to replace the rubbish stock AMD heatsink that killed the last processor. I chose that cooler as it seemed to be last seriously good Socket A cooler widely availiable, how wrong I was.

Four shops have sent me a 7000C-Cu instead, which obviously does not work with socket A as the mounting clips are not supplied and it is about 4 years newer than the 'B' model. Extremely hacked off now that I keep getting sent the wrong cooler, I have had an idea:

Looking at the design, construction and mounting features of the C and B models, they are pretty much the same, so it occured to me that if I could get the mounting clips I may be able to put the C model on the cpu exactly like a B

Anyone have any reasons as to why that may not work or any other other suggestions (apart from getting a new build, which I do not want to do as I like my computer quite a bit) By the way I live in the UK so don't suggest USA stockists that sell the B model as postage is too expensive and if I do get sent the wrong model again it will just be more difficult.

Try contacting Zalman support to see if they will send you the mounting kit for CNPS7000B-Cu. I believe the only real differences between the two are the mounting styles.

Already did that yesterday, just wanted to check to see if I was going down a dead end again. I just wish internet shops would update their product pages to the C model so I could actually see what I am getting - you won't believe how many times they have tried to fob me off with excuse that the C model is better.

Well, it is better. It's one letter more. ;)

Theres actually hardly any difference apart from the C being about 10g lighter - technically when I got told every time the C was more expensive than the B that I paid for so I was getting a good deal, I was actually getting ripped off as the B sells for about £30 and the C for £20.

Too bad that I actually got the C model I now have for free, when I complained that they had sent me the wrong model - they said that they did not want it back, yet they were going to refund me anyway, which they have. How nice of them.

Back
Top Bottom