motherboard

well basically the only reason i want a non PCIe board is because before my last motherboard fried i had bought a brand new ATI radeon 9800 pro and i doubt i can get a full $250 for it, even though it has never been used.

Yeah, but do note that if you were to get a PCI-E card later on when the 9800PRO doesn't perform anymore in games as well, you'd have to change your whole motherboard.

Why don't you go for a PCI-E board, and search for a bridge chip, I think their called.
It allows you to use AGP cards on PCI-E motherboards, and just slots in to my knowledge ready for use.

Wow now thats kewl :D Din't know you could get them, or that it was possible :D

Thanks for that link TRDCorolla :)

Any idea how much the bridge chips cost though and if they are available yet? Would it be cheaper than having to buy the one with both, when the AGP card you have might be replaced too and so that wouldn't be used anymore?

Yeah, I was shocked too. Someone here posted this awhile back and I remembered it because of its unique AGP and PCI-e integration. Best of both worlds. I think ASRock is the only manufacturer that does this. Looks like a solid board and the reviews are pretty positive.

Yeah, sound really good.

I guess you could have two cards in at once then, and maybe using the motherboard software, switch between the two? Or do you think it'd involve a reset and a button to press on the motherboard?

I think it allows you to do that. You just have to go into BIOS to select the Primary VGA adapter, if there are multiple video controllers detected.

Ah right. Guess its not so bad then.

Think I'm going to switch this 9800Pro soon though, and put it into the older 1.2ghz machine, and get a better one for this. Might be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom