Monitor self-test message, but nothing else...

mcgimlin

Beta member
Okay, so here's the scoop: sometime early this summer, the power supply went poopy on our 3 year old gateway desktop running xp home. Basic system, nothing fancy or added extra except my husband's nvidia graphics card. anyway, got a new power supply, got everything hooked up, and am getting nothing on the screen except for that stupid monitor self-test message that tells me the monitor is fine, check the power cable yadda yadda. monitor is fine, i hooked it up to another computer and it worked. when i turn on the computer, everything turns on, runs nice and quiet and smooth like you think it should, but NOTHING shows up on the monitor. No error beeps when i boot it up. i've tried hooking the monitor up to the graphics card port, to the regular monitor port, still nothing. any suggestions?

When this happened to me, the motherboard was funky. I brought it to a local computer store and they ordered me a new one and replaced it, and that solved my problem.

i've been told by some of the hardware gurus at my college that it could be a fried motherboard due to the power fluctuations from the bad power supply...oh well. my husband has been begging for a new computer for a while now!

Back
Top Bottom