Mofo Ntoskrnl.exe !!!

fredstek

Baseband Member
I am trying to fix my friends netbook that has a Ntoskrnl.exe error on start up that stops xp from loading properly. I cant install a fresh copy of xp because it doesent have a cd drive. I am trying to boot xp from a flash drive and install it from that but it hasent worked so far.

How should i format the flash drive before i place the xp install files on it with the wintoflash program that makes a usb flash drive to be able to boot and install xp from it?

I dont have a usb cd drive that i can use so this is the only method i can try at the moment.

Create an ISO file from the XP installation CD and use MultibootISO to create a bootable USB flash drive. Copy your XP ISO file to the USB flash drive. There is a file called "menu.lst" on the root of the USB flash drive. Open it up in a text editor and add the following entry:

title XP installer (or whatever you want to name it)
find --set-root /XPinstaller.iso (put the actual name of the ISO file you are using)
map /XPinstaller.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

Give it a try and let me know how it works out.

Why reinstall Windows? Burn a CD with UBCD4Win and check the boot.ini. Which will be located at the root folder (for most, it's C:\Boot.ini)

Post the text you see and we can verify its content. Most NTOSkrnl problems come about from a corrupted or missing boot ini.

Why reinstall Windows? Burn a CD with UBCD4Win and check the boot.ini. Which will be located at the root folder (for most, it's C:\Boot.ini)

Post the text you see and we can verify its content. Most NTOSkrnl problems come about from a corrupted or missing boot ini.

His friend's netbook doesn't have a CD drive...

Excellent job pointing that out to me :S

Try tapping F8 after turning it on (after the DMI pool check, which is after POST (The splash screen at boot)) And booting with "Last known good configuration" Sometimes that works, but not always.

Well, since you have a flash drive...

Download this VVV

Active@ Demo installer

Install it, make a boot disk from the flash drive, boot to it, check the ini file.

Back
Top Bottom