Modem speed suddenly less

leanto442

Solid State Member
I have dialup, and I have previously been getting 32 kbs on this computer. A week or two ago, the speed suddenly dropped to 24 kbs. I checked the settings and ran an optimizer, but it didn't fix anything. This is really slow, considering it was never fast to start with. Another computer i have, an older one with an older modem that never used to be faster than this one is getting 40 kbs. It's plugged into the same wall jack (I use a power strip as a splitter). I recently reformatted the hd on that one, so maybe that cleared out crap and made it run faster. The computer in question is relatively new though, so it shouldn't have many problems. I run XP, with a Soft V92 Data/Fax modem manufactured by CXT. Any advice?
Thanks

make sure that your wires and cables are hooked up all the way and now half hanging out. i had the same problem with my cable modem and i finally figured out it was my line coming into my house or maybe thats the problem

I checked the cables and tried hooking my computer up with new ones, but it did nott work. I saw something about adjusting connection speeds under phone and modem on the control panel, but I don't know how to do that for my modem. Does anyone know?

Back
Top Bottom