Modem?

Mattyl110792

Daemon Poster
Hi,

First of all Merry Christmas to you all. Now, i have a question about modems, mine in particular. I got broadband up a few months ago and my ISP gave me a free modem. When i connect this to the internet, it connects as a dialup connection. In Network Connections, it is under Dialup connections, and when connected acts like a dialup connection but still gives me fast speeds. Curious, I rang my ISP and asked them about this, they then told me that this model modem must connect as a dialup before recieving fast speeds. As i hate this modem and am going to buy a new one, i would like to know what type of modem this is called. There must be a significant difference in names from one that is always connected, to one that you must first connect as a dialup connection.
If you are wondering, my modem is a D-Link DSL-200.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking-you,

Matt

That is strange. The only time when you actually dial out is if you are using 56k connection like AOL, Netzero, etc. Broadband or high speed internet does not need to dial out because you are always on. For that to happen, you have a cable/DSL modem that goes out to your ISP. It's kind of like a switch if you think about it.

I know it is weird, and i hate it hehe. So are you telling me that nearly every modem shouldnt be like this?

Matt

From my experience with 4 different broadband companies, no, it shouldn't be like that. None needed to dial out. You're always connected. Even now, my lights are blinking across my cable modem like crazy and I'm not even downloading or uploading anything. What's the name of your ISP?

Back
Top Bottom