MMC problems

NismoR34

Solid State Member
Microsoft Management Console Problem~

Sorry if this is the wrong area for Help threads but maybe one of ya can help me out. In my "Administrative Tools" folder, it seems as if nothing wants to work, if I click on any of the icons it brings up this message:

"MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\System32\compmgmt.mcs (<--- differs for each icon I click)

This may be because the file does nto exsist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file."

I dont have a user setup on this comp, I used to but not any more, so the sufficient access rights is probably not it.

The only icon that does work is the "Data Sources" one

I am running XP Home, Can anyone help me? please ^_^

Re: Microsoft Management Console Problem~

NismoR34 said:
I dont have a user setup on this comp, I used to but not any more, so the sufficient access rights is probably not it.

No, the MMC plain isn't finding the file for some reason. If it was there, and you didn't have the access rights, you'd get "Access denied" or something similar - not an error about the file not being there.

Another problem I noticed - you're giving the MMC snapins the extension ".mcs" - it should be ".msc" - try that.

Go to Run... and type in "compmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) - does the Computer Management snapin load that way?

Let me know if this has helped solve your problem or not.

Re: Microsoft Management Console Problem~

malbuc87uk said:
No, the MMC plain isn't finding the file for some reason. If it was there, and you didn't have the access rights, you'd get "Access denied" or something similar - not an error about the file not being there.

Another problem I noticed - you're giving the MMC snapins the extension ".mcs" - it should be ".msc" - try that.

Go to Run... and type in "compmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) - does the Computer Management snapin load that way?

Let me know if this has helped solve your problem or not.

That was the fastest Forum reply i have ever gotten, Thanks! My fault not informing you that I have tried the "Run" method and it does not work. and the .msc things was my fault too, i typed it wrong in my post sorry.

I only noticed this when I Installed microsoft SQL server 2000 and tried to Use the "Enterprise Manager" when i clicked it, that same error popped up about the MMC cannot find the file so I deleted MMSQLS2000 and I went to look at my performance and that stupid error comes up on all my admin options.

The only thing I can think of is borrowing a friends recovery disk or will that even solve it? thank you for your time, if you can help more please do!! =)

Back
Top Bottom