Microsoft Question

hitmanwa

Baseband Member
I was told today that our company pays $800/year for every system running a Microsoft OS and Office. Is this really true and if so, why? I've never hear of such a thing. I know there are corporate licenses but $800/year?

I was told today that our company pays $800/year for every system running a Microsoft OS and Office. Is this really true and if so, why? I've never hear of such a thing. I know there are corporate licenses but $800/year?

I find it a little hard to believe that it's that much per year for office on one computer. The licenses, as far as I know are for a very high or unlimited number of computers. Look at the VLK article on Wikipedia.

Unless they're buying new copies of the OS's and Office annually for each terminal, then NO, I don't think that's true. It's more likely that they spend $800 per terminal to install and license Windows and Office, but the annual cost is a little high. Now if they're using MS Server Ops and you need terminal licenses, they can accumulate, depending on the size of the operation. But once again, I believe those are one time costs.

I can only figure they are paying that much/VLK. 1 VLK can be used on x number of computers, right?

Each computer has to have a Windows licence, just like at home. Then, for every machine that will have access to a server on the network, you need to pay for a Client Access Licence (CAL). However, even with Windows licence, CAL and MS Office licence, I don't think it works out at $800 per machine. We certainly don't pay that much.

Back
Top Bottom