i currently have a-
AMD Sempron 2800+ at 2 ghz
256mb DDR ram
120gb hard drive
64mb shared graphics
Dvd drive
cd/dvd re-writer combo
windows xp home edition sp2.

Would upgrading my 256mb by doubling it to 512mb make any difrance to my system performance?
Thanks

Yes it would, though not to games.

If its for multitasking and having more programs open at once, and for loading programs faster, then yes this will help :)

512mb is the normal now for most systems with the latest hardware and windows.

So you should see a small speed boost from doing this. Make sure to get the same speed ram you have in the computer at the moment, and if you can, the same make.

I hope this helps :)

Who says not to games? Of course more RAM will not make HUGE difference to gaming performance, but it will improve (in varying degree) alot of different areas of PC performance. If you want better gaming performance, get a good video card.

It will improve the gaming that you have currently been experiencing with the 256. But not to the levels a lot of gamers expect from their systems.
Kage, is correct in the what you need to purchase for your system. Always try to match the brand that you are currently using and the speed ....although on this I would look deeper in the pricing from all venders as you maybe able to get a single stick of 512 at the same price or even cheaper as a single stick of 256. This is common as more and more computers are going with higher ram values the lower ram sticks end up costing more. So do your shopping wisely. And be sure to check your mobo specs as to what type of ram speeds you can use and don't mix speeds....2100 with 2700 as the ram will always set to the lowest values.

Yeah, thats what i meant really, sorry.

I didn't think it'd make much difference to games because of the fact that most video cards have there own memory to use in games, and don't really use system memory much, though I guess it does for some things.

Some good info there though from Lurkswithin, take it into account :)

Back
Top Bottom