Max out ram for older laptops

Joe_Carr1

BSOD
Will it make a noticeable difference if I have 768mb of ram instead of 512mb for my Sony PCG-R505ESP laptop? I' am using Windows XP Pro since that's what the system came with.

Here are my current specs

Pentium III M 1.2gHz
512mb PC133 ram
40 gig hard drive
Intel 82830M 48mb AGP video card
Windows XP Pro

Kinda yes. Kinda no. XP is like win98 in the fact it doesn't need a whole lot of room to operate in. What's hurting you is the fact that ram is pc133 and is excruciatingly slow and what little you have is getting the video ram robbed out of it. Factor in the drive is IDE and you have a system that is slow by nature of its age.
Besides pc133 is getting expensive as ram makers are pushing to get it phased out.

Well I know that the video card is only using little bit of the system ram but normaly the video card has 32mb if my system had only 256mb. If I have 384mb or more then the video ram goes upto 48mb at most. Right now since I have 512mb it says I actualy have 510mb of system ram now since some are using for video card. If I had 256mb then it will only be 254mb ram. So I think it just uses 2mb from system I don't know.

I can get a OEM 512mb ram for $39 that will forsure work for this Sony laptop. The shipping is only for $1 so it will be $40 total.

Will older games like UT 2004, Quake 3 Arena or The Sims 2 play any better with 768mb total ram?

You'll see a little difference, but I doubt very much. Your computer can only be so fast. With an older pc you can max out the ram and the pc will still only run as fast as it's able to. I would just stick with your 512mb, that's plenty for xp.

Back
Top Bottom