Master and Slave

joenailface

Baseband Member
i want to set up a master and slave system for my computer where the slave has no operating system anyone with help on this please post, i think i have the jumper pins configured right but im not totally sure but the computer recognises the slave drive in hardware i just cant access it

Ok if the pins are right it should look like this:
pb9_3c.gif

Check the pins and i think you need to configure the drives yourself not really sure.. To long since iv done that :(

Hmm, well i'd assume you are running from IDE1 on your motherboard for the hard drives. IDE2 is usually used for all the cd/dvd drives, etc.

Now, there should be one cable coming off the IDE1 port and to the Slave drive connected using a connector in the middle of the 1 cable. On the other end of the cable is another connector which should have the Master drive connected to it, so they should both be linked together.

Try this, and I hope it works, though you might have it set up like this already:

Is your slave drive blank? If so and you have Windows XP, right click My Computer icon, and go to Manage.

Select disk management from the list on the left.

Now all the hard drives should be on Disk 0.
Right click the Slave drive and select format from the list.
Follow the instructions, selecting NTFS from the list (This file system only works on the latest windows and performs and works a bit differently, buit its better than the old FAT 32).

If you have anything less than Windows XP like Windows 98 or something, (well for one thing, you might not find it under manage....) select FAT 32 from the list.

Follow the instructions and then restart. Hopefully it'll now recognise it.

kage you are an absolute legend thank you so much, the hard drive is up and running at 233gb's...ive a feeling theres more problems coming but still 1 down

Kewl :D Glad it works.

As for other problems. We'll be here :)

Can I by any ahnce ask which step fixed it? The first? or formatting it?

it was the formatting and the fact that i didnt know about that manage menu for my computer. the new hard drive wasnt initialized so that wasnt helping either, i also didnt have the drive labled...i knew how to do all the hard stuff but none of the simple things :p

just before i forget, say i transfered all the files i wanted to keep onto the slave hard drive then formatted the master and installed xp pro onto it would it pose any problems or should it work fine?

Hehe, yeah that should be fine :)

Shouldn't pose any problems what so ever :D

Just make sure what you copy across won't need the registry, like for example a game folder (this wouldn't work if you just copied this)
so just save backups of saved games, files from yuor documents and things like that that would be irreplaceable.
As long as you have installations for the programs on cd's and on the drive, all should be good :)

Hope it works great, good luck

yeah, those will be fine to copy over :) Don't worry, because those are standalone files anyway.

Back
Top Bottom