M2 motherboard release date

R1C0CH3T

Daemon Poster
I am in the process of finding parts for my dream computer that i will buy, and want to buy one of the new M2 boards that support amd athlon. anyone know when these motherboards come out?

2nd quarter of next year. The ASRock motherboard is actually M2 ready. They have alloted space for a daughter card so that the M2 socket and DDR2 can be implemented. The Athlon 64 processor will be changing from its current 939-pin socket to a 940-pin socket in support of this upcoming shift to DDR-2 memory. The new M2 socket 940 is not interchangeable with current AMD Opteron 940-pin sockets. Too bad Opteron fans.

The ASRock is not M2 already. There is a space for a daughter board which ASRock are thinking of making, they may not in the end. And ASRock make loads of motherboards. The board you are talking about is the ASRock 939DualSATA2 right?

The M2 socket should be released Spring next year or so. The reason AMD are going to DDR2, not DDR3, is that DDR2 has been around for some time, meaning prices have come down, and if they went DDR3, the factories would have to change, pushing up prices. The techniques for making DDR2 are also refined, giving increased performance.

Back
Top Bottom